Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WMI Reaching Handle count and hanging server

Hello,

This has been a problem that has been annoying me for months now. Every time I think I have it, a week later the server crashes again.

We have a Number of HP ML350 servers, all with SBS2008 having this problem.
    The syptoms are as follows:
    The server will allow some actions to be proformed, like DNS and DHCP, but others like access a database, or logging onto the server are not allowed.
    Till you restart the server, it will keep handling DHCP and DNS and pop 3 and Internet sharing, but will not allow you to log onto the server, connect to any databases housed on the server, use the servers RPC client at all and the event logging system.

When this happens we get 2 WMI events, ones a warning as follows:
    Code:
    Event Id = 5612
    Source = WMI
    Windows Management Instrumentation has stopped WMIPRVSE.EXE because a quota reached a warning value. Quota: HandleCount Value: 4097 Maximum value: 4096 WMIPRVSE PID: 5284
    The stright after that we get a error as follows
    Code:
    Event id 10
    Source = WMI
    Event filter with query "select * from __instancemodificationevent within 30 where targetinstance isa 'Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfDisk_LogicalDisk' and targetinstance.PercentFreeSpace < 1 and targetinstance.Name != '_Total'" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x800706be. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.
    There is also a infomation that happens just before the above in system.
    Code:
    The Windows Modules Installer service entered the stopped state.
    After these 2 errors in the Application log, no more events are logged in any of the logs till the server is restarted.

Does anyone have any ideas, I have applied all the WMI hot fixes MS has released, some of them seemed to help, but problems is still happening.

I am Lost.

Edit: I have done abit more research into this, and it seems that ths WMIprvSE.exe holds the Csrss. I believe I have reached a point where I am just confuseing myself, so I am more then happy for any ideas at this point in time. Its almost time for step 4) Crying

Wofen
    Last edited by Wofen; 22nd October 2010, 05:44. Reason: Adding more Details.
    Good to be back....

Re: WMI Reaching Handle count and hanging server

I have no knowledge of this specific problem but here is my contribution on searching that Event ID:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...19(WS.10).aspx
    HTH in some small way!
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
      I have no knowledge of this specific problem but here is my contribution on searching that Event ID:
      http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...19(WS.10).aspx
      HTH in some small way!

Thanks Teiger, sadly I have already tried that.

I am now at the point of trying to find what DLL file calling on what to increase the handles of the WMI service running it.

Would be fun, other then each WMI service runs 20+dll files, and I have no way to actuly find what each DLL is doing.

I will work it out one day, now I just have a server that restarts twice a day .

I love Windows "Stability"

Wofen
      Good to be back....

Comment

I appear to have the same issue on a new ML350 G6 server with Windows SBS 2008. It has only happened once, 4 days after the server was last restarted, but if this continues, as your experience indicates it will, it is going to be a major problem!

I have found a customer advisory article on HP's site - document id c02445583 (petri.co.il won't let me post a URL until I have 5 posts on their forum site..... sorry) and their resolution suggestion is pretty unhelpful (reinstall their product) - however, if it is their product (HP Insight Management WBEM Providers for Windows) causing the issue then I figure that uninstalling it completely should resolve the problem. I have therefore uninstalled it, as it doesnt seem to be doing anything useful for me anyway, and have my fingers crossed that the issue won't reoccur, but won't know for a few days I guess.

Did you ever resolve this?

Comment

Working...
        X