Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Usage Monitor

Hi guys,

Are there any tools (built in or 3rd party) out there so that I can monitor the internet usage of the sbs 2008 server? The internet usage has been higher then normal lately and I'd like to see what services or applications is utilising the internet excessively.

Thanks

Re: Internet Usage Monitor

Originally posted by gerdy View Post
    Hi guys,

Are there any tools (built in or 3rd party) out there so that I can monitor the internet usage of the sbs 2008 server? The internet usage has been higher then normal lately and I'd like to see what services or applications is utilising the internet excessively.

Thanks

There are alot out there, what your looking for is called a proxy.

There are alot of free unix based ones that can be installed on almost any machine.

Squid is one I would recommend, and there is a windows version, but I cna not really comment on it.
    The unix one is easy to setup, evern for someone with no unix background.

Wofen
    Good to be back....

Comment

What is acting as the gateway? You can potentially monitor the usage of a specific IP address depending on the features of your firewall / gateway. Also, is the switch that the SBS machine plugged into smart in any way? Can you port mirror? You could mirror the traffic that is going over that physical port and pump it into wireshark or snort or something else.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

If you have the resources you could re-introduce ISA server (you remember the one that used to be part of SBS 2003 Premium!), install the Firewall Client on each station and get a report per user of who is doing what.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

what do you have provoding your internet service - ie what sort of router?

they oftten have some sort of filtering and graphing utilities - just depends on the device.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X