Upgrading to SBS 2008 with Terminal Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading to SBS 2008 with Terminal Server

The SBS 2003 server has 55 users, all with roamng profiles. There is a Server 2003 Terminal Server on the network that remote user connect in with.

The SBS 2003 server is a wreck and I am going to replace it with an SBS 2008 server and build it from the ground up. When I join the terminal server to the network, should I delete the local user profiles on the TS first?

I plan to copy the folders from the user profiles over from the old SBS server to the SBS 2008 server. I am assuming these wil get copied over to the TS when the user logs in remotely for the first time.

Thanks,
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Upgrading to SBS 2008 with Terminal Server

any reason not to do a swing migraton ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      any reason not to do a swing migraton ?
      The server is too far beyound repair to warrant the time to repair it. Many unqualified people and companies have had their hands in it over the last 10 years. After two poor migrations, the last effort was a reimaged Dell server restored to a non-Dell platform. A swing migration requires the existing AD be in good health.

Comment

then yes, I'd kill all the local profiles.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          then yes, I'd kill all the local profiles.
          I agree, Back everything up, and nuke the server clean.

Wofen

PS: I had to lol, when I first read that post, I thought it said kill all the local politicians.... had to laugh.
          Good to be back....

Comment

I got the OK to replce the server and I have until March 31, It will be a lttle time consuming but I am sure in the long run. See new threads to follow

Comment

User profiles in W2K3 and W2K8 are incompatible and non-interoperable so if your plan is to copy the roaming user profiles from the SBS2003 server to the SBS2008 server you can forget that idea, they won't work.

Comment

When I set up the new accounts and profiles on the SBS srver, I plan to copy over the folders in the old profiles, not the ntuser,dat and ini files.

About three quarters of the users are XP users and the remainder are Windows 7 users that generate a .V2 profile. We are slowly moving away from XP and have a Win 7 Pro VLK.

The current problem I have is when a user moves from an XP computer to a Win 7 computer because the profiles are not compatible.

I know with Windows 7 clients on the network with SBS 2008 this would not be a problem because of the enhanced folder redirection, but I am not sure about the XP clients. Should I be installing the Server 2008 Client-Side Extensions on the XP computers and expecting then to function as Win 7 clients? Do I even need roaming profiles on SBS 2008 with a mixture of XP and Win 7 clients?

Thanks for sharing any experience or advice.

Comment

Deal with the profiles on the client side. By that I mean when you move a computer/user from XP to WIN7, use the Windows Easy Transfer (WET) from Win7 to save the settings to a file on the server and then reload them back to the new clean workstation.
                  I have heard reports that WET doesn't tranfer Outlook settings correctly, so my advice is also remove the Exchange Cached Mode from the stations and be prepared to define a new Outlook profile. It may clean up the Outlook .OST file as a positive byproduct.
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

My real problem is dealing with users who have roaming proviles and use both Win 7 and XP workstations. The profiles are not compatible. On SBS 2008 can I use folder redirection and roaming profiles?

If a roaming use logs off an XP workstation and starts up a session on a Win 7 workstation, the profile does not get updated from the XP session.

Moving the information in the profiles is just a technicality for the moment. I was hopeful folder redirection could ssolve everything,

Thanks

Comment

There isn't any part of a Windows XP profile that is compatible with a Windows 7 profile. If you mean that you're going to move your Windows XP profiles to the new server for your Windows XP clients and ditto for Windows 7 then you may be OK. If you're going to attempt to make a Windows XP profile work for a Windows 7 client by copying folders, excluding ntuser.dat, you're going to create problems.

You shouldn't need to do anything with the Windows XP clients in terms of the CSE's. They'll happily work with the W2K8 server without any issues. As you mentioned, the additional folder redirection components for Windows 7 clients won't work with your Windows XP clients (Contacts, Videos, etc) but that won't cause any problems for the Windows XP clients.

Comment

How do you suggest I get roaming profiles to work wit XP and Win 7 clients on an SBS 2008 server?

Just set it up as I normally do putting all the profiles in a ahred profiles folder? Does SBS solve the current problem I have on SBS 2003 with XP and Win 7 profiles conflicking because Win 7 profiles are .v2?

Thanks.

Comment

I just want to be clear that the user roams from XP computers to Win 7 computers. If they add favorites to their favorites list, or if they add a file to their desktop on a Win 7 computer, it won't be there when they go log onto an XP computer.

You say there is no difference but the XP computer will not read the last provile because it has .v2 appended to it, a version two Win 7 profile.

Comment

You can't make a Windows XP profile work with a Windows 7 profile. If you have Windows XP clients who have Windows XP profiles, those profiles will work on the SBS2008 server, as will the Windows 7 profiles with the Windows 7 clients. The issue is not with the OS of the server hosting the profiles, the issue is with the client OS that's using the profiles. A Windows XP client will create and use only a Windows XP profile and ditto for Windows 7.

I may be unintentionally confusing things here. Can you reiterate what it is you're trying to achieve with the profiles?

Comment

OK, it looks like we both posted at the same time. Here's my take on it:

1. You have users that use both Windows XP and Windows 7 and therefore have both types of profiles.

2. You use roaming profiles.

3. You want to make the XP and 7 profiles interoperable for things like Desktop shortcuts, Favorites, etc.

Now here's my answer:

You're going to have to deal with 2 profiles for each user; an XP profile and a 7 profile. Some things can be "shared" between profiles if you use Folder Redirection, such as AppData, Desktop, Start Menu, etc. Unfortunately not all things can be "shared" via Folder Redirection, such as Favorites. You can use Folder Redirection for components that support Folder Redirection for both types of clients.

My suggestion is to look into using Folder Redirection for the folders that both client types support redirection of. This is the closest you're going to get.

I'd like to tell you that I have 500 W2K3\XP profiles that I have to "migrate" to W2K8\7 and this issue is the big reason why I haven't upgraded to W2K8\7 yet so I feel your pain.

Comment

Working...
                              X