Spiceworks for Monitoring SMB networks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spiceworks for Monitoring SMB networks

First thing, if this is in the wrong place, please move it.

I help manage a small group of SMB networks (20+ networks, most networks are 5-15 users, OS ALL MS, ranging from 2003 to 2008SBS), and was wondering if it would be worth while to setup a automated ticketing system for the maintenance, backup and performance monitors so I have a single location to monitor, rather then 20 different monitoring pages.

Now, my Big quest for those that have used spice works before is;
    How hard is it to Setup on each server?
    How much configuration of the display and reports do you have?
    How much effort is involded in getting Spiceworks to monitor a number of different servers?
    With such small networks, does it actuly save any time?

Normally I would just go ahead and test it myself, but for political reason I am not allowed to test any monitoring software till its been ok'ed, and I need to provid a good reason for the OK, kinda a catch22 .

I have used ticketing software before, inculding spiceworks, but in a very limited setup, and I was never directly involded in the a spiceworks setup. I have helped setup and configure Kasaya, and some Internal Goverment ticketing system that I cna not remember the name of.

Basiclly, spiceworks sounds too good to be true, and when something sounds it, it normally is.

Wofen
    Good to be back....

Re: Spiceworks for Monitoring SMB networks

this interests me - I was working in a consulting environment, where we always needed to check about 40 bazillion different tools and locations, including multiple different vpns.

I wanted to set up something like a distributed nagios, where the clients would report back to the server, rather than the server polling the client.
    i hadn't considered making it auto-logging.

Where I currently work (also outsourced IT stuff c. 600 clients) we use Kaseya, and it automatically logs data into a system called Netsuite, which is some sort of SaaS CRM thing that includes incident tracking.

Might be overly sized for what you're thinkin of though
    I'd lov eto know if SPiceworks does what you're thinking
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Spiceworks is more than capable of doing this with "remote collectors" for each site, or you can setup scan ranges and scan over a VPN.

No client to install it uses WMI, SSH and SNMP mainly to get back the system information. The community is always around as well to help you get your problems sorted.

I have it scanning around 100 desktops and 15 servers (virtual and physical) it works great providing me with vital information, some of the plugins for performance monitoring have also allowed me to find the network bottle necks.

Wofen to awnser your questions:
      • How hard is it to Setup on each server? - Very easy, you install it from the exe as you would any other machine and it sets up its server, database and everything else. You can then link this to the central site by entering the IP or Hostname of it and away it goes and sets up the link.
      • How much configuration of the display and reports do you have? - You can use the built in report builder for quick reports and even build your own in SQL or checkout the exstention centre for more report. There are loads already out there and so much you can do with a little SQL knowledge and google.
      • How much effort is involded in getting Spiceworks to monitor a number of different servers? - None, any server in the inventory can be monitored at near a touch of button and if you setup monitors per group then new machines will be automatically descovered and monitored.
      • With such small networks, does it actuly save any time? - Yes, i run it on my network and the new 5.0 version has made it even easier! Its lighting quick and helps me manage my devices and people. The IT Helpdesk is the key for me and helps me keep track of the user errors easier.

Think I got it all anything else just shout

There are also some good MSP articles on Unofficial Spiceworks on how a SpiceHead manages his MSP network with Spiceworks - unofficialspiceworks.com/category/spiceworks/msps/ - if you have a read though it should give you an idea of how Spiceworks can help you as a MSP.

No i dont work for Spiceworks, im just a HUGE fan and use it ALOT
      Last edited by akp982; 19th October 2010, 19:50.

Comment

Well, I only have one more questions, safty of data?

I am alittle worried about the whole "free" thing, and while I know they use a adware model, google does that, but still keeps a copy of all your documents.

I have alot of customers who have sensitive data on there server. I would need to be able to offer them a guarantee for there data.

Has anyone heard of Spiceworks having major secruity holes? I have not found anything, but I only started looking 2 weeks ago.

Wofen
        Good to be back....

Comment

this is the major thing that would concern me: having agents (from multiple clients, on disparate networks) returning data to a central server out in the cloud

SNMP is an inherently insecure protocol. WMI probably shouldn't travel over the internet.

So it would have to use SSH to report back to the central server?
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X