Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloated WSUS Wreaking Havoc

SBS 2011

Our server has not been properly maintained in regards to wsus and now has about 35,000 obsolete updates that I need to delete. I found a script to do that but each update seems to be taking about an hour. I don't have four years to wait for this thing to finish. I've stopped the wsus service. Is there anything else I can do to speed this up or should I get ready to go nuclear and uninstall and reinstall wsus? This is the script I'm using:

Code:
    USE SUSDB
    DECLARE @var1 INT, @curitem INT, @totaltodelete INT
    DECLARE @msg nvarchar(200)
    CREATETABLE #results4(Col1 INT)INSERTINTO #results4(Col1)
    EXEC spGetObsoleteUpdatesToCleanup
    SET @totaltodelete =(SELECTCOUNT(*)FROM #results4)
    SELECT @curitem=1
    DECLARE WC CursorFORSELECT Col1 FROM #results4
    OPEN WC
    FETCHNEXTFROM WC INTO @var1 WHILE (@@FETCH_STATUS>-1)
    BEGINSET @msg =cast(@curitem asvarchar(5))+'/'+cast(@totaltodelete asvarchar(5))+': Deleting '+CONVERT(varchar(10), @var1)+' '+cast(getdate()asvarchar(30))
    RAISERROR(@msg,0,1)WITHNOWAIT
    EXEC spDeleteUpdate@localUpdateID=@var1
    SET @curitem = @curitem +1
    FETCHNEXTFROM WC INTO @var1
    END
    CLOSE WC
    DEALLOCATE WC
    DROPTABLE #results4

Have you tried using the WSUS console to do this?

Comment

Also re-index your WSUS database using the script here:
      http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/ScriptCenter/6f8cde49-5c52-4abd-9820-f1d270ddea61/
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
        Have you tried using the WSUS console to do this?
        Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that I have been trying the console repeatedly but I'm not getting anywhere, it keeps timing out and I've verified that it isn't actually deleting anything.

Ossian, I'm running the re-index now and hoping for the best. Thank you.

Comment

It took a while but I finally got the reindexing to run successfully. Unfortunately, I still can't get the WSUS cleanup wizard to run and it is still taking forever to delete updates via the sql script mentioned above. Any other options?

Comment

Nope. You could always blow it away and start again.

Comment

Working...
            X