X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair Installation of SBS 2003

Any tips on this one?
    New client with a hosed SBS 2003 -- fails during boot

I have recovered a recent system state backup (not sure if its good or not) but would prefer not to format / reinstall in case it isnt!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Repair Installation of SBS 2003

I hate to say this to you of all people but.... can we have abit more infomation :P

Any errors?
    Hardware setup (raid, anything special)?
    In a safemode boot, whats the file it fails on?
    Anything else?

Wofen
    Good to be back....

Comment

Sorry, in a hurry there.

HW is OK & tested (RAID 1 using Asus Mobo onboard RAID). I've pulled a drive for safety.....
      Hangs loading acpitabl.dat (in safe mode / dsrm) and just gives a blank screen in normal boot.

Nothing else that comes up
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If you boot up with the system CD and try to run a repair. Can you see any directories? This should tell you whether the drive still works. If you can access different directories on the hard drive to add files. Then the hard drive is worth trying to repair.

You will probably need to F6 to add the driver as you boot up for the RAID.

Sorry. I just read the post from the bottom. I just noticed the hardware is fine on top post. Reading posts backwards. Please disregard my info.
        Last edited by coxhaus; 15th October 2010, 17:01.

Comment

OK, tried a repair install but the option was not available (standard for OEM media, I discovered)

Tried a fresh install without formatting the C drive and restored from backup, but the problems recurred.

Ended up doing a fresh build and will join clients to domain later. Not the preferred option but time was of the essence.
          Tom Jones
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

Comment

I just found this on the net.

There are a couple of PAQ's regarding SBS 2003 failing to startup properly post SP1, and when booting in safe mode fails when loading acpitabl.dat.
            Some of the other PAQ's are;
            - http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Windows_Server_2003/Q_21530046.html
            - http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Windows_Server_2003/Q_21649300.html

I have found an alternate solution after trying almost all of the options suggested in those PAQ's and other forums on the web, but eventually fixed it by copying an older raid controller [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]driver[/COLOR][/COLOR] onto the server.
            My problem was that the server (with an adaptec 2410sa SATA [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]RAID [COLOR=blue !important]Controller[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]) was built with a recent controller driver, but the controller firmware was much older.
            Trying to update the firmware to a recent version was a losing battle as the whole array had to be recreated which kills the installed OS.

Essentially, I think that the problem has nothing to do with acpitabl (it is just the last thing displayed before the real problem starts), but more a mis-match in controller firmware and the OS driver for the controller. Not sure why it occurred when it did, as I had been running on SP1 (SBS2003) for some time.
            I was able to boot to an alternate installation on another disk, in order to copy the older drivers into all locations where they were previously, but using the recovery console could have been an option.

The strong message here is to make sure that your controller [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]firmware[/COLOR][/COLOR] and OS driver match or are validated to work together by the vendor.
            Hope this helps others !

You might try checking Asus for a new RAID drive and adding it to the hardrive.
            Last edited by coxhaus; 15th October 2010, 17:17.

Comment

Many thanks -- past that state now -- but there was no up to date RAID driver, and the reinstall with the current one is going OK....
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

I worry about using motherboard RAID. It kind of locks you in. I run Microsoft's software RAID on my SBS 2003. It just feels safer to me. AS Microsoft patches their OS they also patch the RAID system. Although my new server is running a Intel RAID 5 card. I do patch the firmware regular. The new server is my HyperV box and is running virtuals. I feel comfortable using it because I back the virtuals up and I can restore a virtual very fast. Just copy the backed up virtual file to the hard drive and point a new virtual to the file. Done.
                I hope to move my SBS server to a virtual soon.

Comment

IMHO avoid software RAID as it really affects system performance.
                  Agree re virtuals -- I was tempted (but didnt) do the rebuild on HyperV server
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

I have software RAIDs on some clients if they are too cheap to buy decent hardware.
                    I have software RAID on my own setup because I am too cheap to buy decent hardware!
                    5-users for Office, Net and e-mail doesn't usually affect performance that much.
                    I avoid onboard RAID adapters, because you can never move them over to new servers, if needed.
                    I would also have been severly tempted to reinstall to Hyper-V
                    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                    http://www.wintra.co.il/
                    sigpic
                    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Done a full rebuild and all seems OK -- recovering emails now.

Reason I didnt go HyperV as I am not the main admin on this server -- was called in with problems -- and the guy who will do day to day maintenance is not up on HV
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Tom
                        and the guy who will do day to day maintenance is not up on HV
                        Then you should be pointing him to Hyper-V Training
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                        X