Out of Licenses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of Licenses

Today I inherited a 29 user SBS 2003 network with 55 licenses installed. SBS 2003 used to run on a Dell PowerEdge server. About 1.5 years ago, the admin made an Acronis TrueImage backup of the server. He did a universal restore to new hardware which is not Dell.

This is what they have been using and it seems to work even though it shows all the Dell OpenManage software installed. The problem is the licensing. The license manager shows all the licenses installed, the maximum usage and the activation date. The keys are all there however, where the organization name is supposed to go is blank.

In the event log are many of these warnings:

"The product Windows Server is out of licenses. Use Licensing from the Administrative Tools folder for more information on which users are out of compliance and how many licenses should be purchased."

Any suggestions? It looks like the licensing server is not registered.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Out of Licenses

Originally posted by RobW View Post
    Today I inherited a 29 user SBS 2003 network with 55 licenses installed. SBS 2003 used to run on a Dell PowerEdge server. About 1.5 years ago, the admin made an Acronis TrueImage backup of the server. He did a universal restore to new hardware which is not Dell.

This is what they have been using and it seems to work even though it shows all the Dell OpenManage software installed. The problem is the licensing. The license manager shows all the licenses installed, the maximum usage and the activation date. The keys are all there however, where the organization name is supposed to go is blank.

In the event log are many of these warnings:

"The product Windows Server is out of licenses. Use Licensing from the Administrative Tools folder for more information on which users are out of compliance and how many licenses should be purchased."

Any suggestions? It looks like the licensing server is not registered.
    Was the orginal server sold with the OS installed, IE, is it OEM.

If it is, then you can not legally do this, and you will need to buy a full retail version (or VLK) to proceed.

If it was a full retail version, are you able to reinstall the license server?

Wofen
    Good to be back....

Comment

I don't know about the old server but the license key does not say OEM. It has "066" as the second series in the key. This is looking at the properties of My Computer.

Thanks

Comment

Is there a sticker on the side of the case?

Wofen
        Good to be back....

Comment

The server was purchased with no operating system installed. As I mentioned in my first post, SBS 2003 was imaged from the old server using Acronis and the image was restored to this new server using Acronis Universal Restore.

I have been researching the product keys ad as ar as I can determine, 066 is an MSDN key. Do you agree?

Comment

I have no idea how to work out whatit is from the Key, but I was just giving a warning, hate for you to be sued over something the old IT admin did.

Just a few ideas,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327644 <--- Have you tried these steps?

Try a dcdiag /v to see if there are any major problems, let us know if anything appers.

Also, have you attempted to Backup and restore (Or restore from a older backup), as that might fix up the company info.

Failing all that, i would give MS licensing a call and get them to fix it. They will also be able to check the license for you (You will be the one to be fined, even if the dodgy was pulled by the old IT admin).

Wofen
            Good to be back....

Comment

No, the company would be fined, not him, and that's only if they choose to go that route. Microsoft usually just helps you get it up to date. No legal fees that way. All profit, no hassle.
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
                No, the company would be fined, not him, and that's only if they choose to go that route. Microsoft usually just helps you get it up to date. No legal fees that way. All profit, no hassle.

Oh, I appolgise if I have given the wrong info, but on one of the MSDN agreements it said that if you are the admin for a network, and that work uses illegal software, you would be held accountable.

I do not even attempt to keep up to date with MS agreements, since it was found that 80% of there EULA are illegal themselfs, so i am most proply wronge, but better to play it safe.

Anyhow, easiest way to avoid all this is call MS and ask to do a license check, good chance you will need to call them to get this sorted anyhow.

Wofen
                Good to be back....

Comment

The server has a legitimate VLK. Funny that 065, 066 and 067 are MSDN copies for Windows 7.

I am going to replace the server with SBS 2008 so 'out of licenses' not an issue. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X