Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W2k3 SBS to W2k8 R2 migration

Hello,

May I ask You for help. I need to upgrade hardware and install W2k8 R2. At this moment I have DC on W2k3 SBS. If there are any problems during the migration from 2k3 SBS to 2008?
    I saw many movies "how to". But 99% movies is about migration from w2k3 (not SBS) to 2008 R2.
    As I know I cannot restore system state on W2k8 ,so i need to add new DC to existing domain and move roles to the new server. Am I wrong????

Last question, if i want to stay wint w2k3 and move to the same hardware but different hard drivers (bigger hdd) and restore from system state . Is it possible??

Thx
    michal

Roughly: add 2008R2 member server and promote to DC then move the FSMOs and decommission the SBS. IIRC (and its been a long time now) once you move the FSMOs you have a fairly short window to complete the process.

Restoring to new/bigger drives is easy enough - if you have hardware RAID on the SBS, you can do it by replacing drives one at a time, otherwise backup/restore will work
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank You. One question regarding migration. If i will decide to change my OS to W2k8 can I change ip and name? I wolud like to use old IP and old server name.
      When I will make migration to W2k8 and i will leave new DC name and IP addr , I'm not sure if all computer will update information about new DC.

thx
      michal

Comment

The new DC will have a different name and IP, but you can change both after retiring the original SBS

You should also have a look at DFS so your clients connect to file shares in a DFS root rather than directly to a server - that will benefit you later
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hello,

it is high time to start migration...
          I wonder if I can remove one drive and insert bigger. When repliaction will be done I will inset second new disk and remove old, smaller hdd...
          Can I do this?

Let's say I will install new OS on new server. Can I move Ad objects from old DC to new one?
          Last question is: Did anyone use 'swing migration tool'. ? How does it work? There is some tool or some technicians will support migration?

Regards
          michal

Comment

Working...
          X