No announcement yet.

Roaming profiles in sbs2008

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaming profiles in sbs2008

I first time installed sbs2008 and i setup the redirectedfolders

Do i need to set roaming profiles so anyone can log from any computer?

where i can find how to set the roaming profiels?

I tried to set it but it didn't work good
    when i tried to log in from another comp
    I didnt get all the setup

Re: Roaming profiles in sbs2008

RPs copy the entire profile to a server on logoff and back to the client on logon (OK, some caching is involved), so all settings should be applied.
    Redirection stores some folders centrally, but not all the user settings.
    You can use both to reduce the amount of data to be copied.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

The most important to me is to keep the email setting (outlook) and the desktop when i'm logginf drom another computer/

Do i need to use roaming profiles or the redirectedfolders is enogh?

IMHO Roaming Profiles are heavy on network usage and usually overkill. Folder Redirection is fine for most smaller networks and you could modify the Group Policy to include Desktop Redirection to let the users at least feel as if they are always on the same machine. Outllok profiles are a diferrent proposition however. Since, by default, the OL profile uses Exchange Cached Mode, do you really want 2GB offline files on every machine for every user? I prefer to keep Exchange Cached Mode on the users "main" machine and not on others. OWA is another option.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.