SBS 2008 Client backup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 Client backup

If I have client folder redirection (how is this done?) then is all the client data backed up and what are the limitations?

Re: SBS 2008 Client backup

Folder redirection is handled through group policy and points a particular directory on the client at a folder on a server. That means no data (for that folder) is stored on the client.
    Backing up the server will therefore backup the redirected data.

No limitations, although server drive capacity can become an issue (use FSRM quotas) as can network speed when opening remote files
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for that. It occurs to me with that method it may not allow one to restore a single clients data. If that is so what level of backup would restore client files?

Comment

Dont see why not -- you are backing up a folder containing subfolders for each user
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Just athought, if the user takes the laptop from the office and does not connect are the files available and synchronised on the laptop?

Comment

Yea it works like a champ. My laptop users can access all there files and save changes when they are away from the office. I have it set to syncronize when they log in at the office. I then backup the redirected folders every night.

Comment

The Folder redirection is normally used to make a workstation think its users "My Doc's" (can be used for any folder that has a %Name% share (yeah the name for that type of share skipps my mind atm)) to a different location.

Windows 7 and Vista uses this exact methiod to redirect "Documents" to "Documents and Settings" (same with Appdata ect ect).

How this is backed up depends on your backup software.
              A "bit level" backup (Imaging products like Ghost or Snapshot) will not be redirected, so you will have to selected the location that holders the folder redirects (So a Folder called "Users Docs" that contains the "User 1 Documents" ect ect).

Most other types of backup software will "follow" the redirect, but it is not recommended that you allow it. It can cause backup loops, cause problems with secruity and premissions.

If you backup the folder holding the Data (the folder that it redirects too) you should (depends on backup softawre) be able to restore a single folder from it. Even if your backup software does not allow this, you can just restore the whole folder to a 2nd computer, copy what you need and just ingore the rest.

Wofen
              Good to be back....

Comment

Thanks, I can't say I fully understand it. Is sync. a default setting? I have seent the "copy" of the one PC I have added to the server so I guess that folder ("user redifection" I think it's called) goes to the backup device. I am only using native backup here. I cannot see the logic of backing up the PCs separately though. Couple of thoughts though:

1. if a PC went down and had to be restored causing My Docs to want reloading, how would this be done?

2. if the server started a sync. for whatever reason, what controls the sync. direction because under PC/Laptop fault conditions it may be necessary to sync. back to the PC whereas if a Laptop is bought back to the office, it will need to be sync'ed from the Laptop to the server?

Comment

Happy, maybe you should find a good guide on setting up folder redirection to get the basics setup, then worry about setting up the backup.

I spent 30 seconds finding some links to MS KB, these may not be the best, but do alittle explorering with google, and you might find something better.

http://www.tech-faq.com/implementing...up-policy.html
                  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/232692
                  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...72(WS.10).aspx

Hope this Helps.

Wofen
                  Good to be back....

Comment

Thanks forhat I will go away and study.

Comment

It is doubly/triple backed up.
                      (My) Documents is held on the server and backed up by whatever backup software you are using including the backup wizard in SBS 2008.
                      It is also held in Shadow Copies allowing you to retrieve Previous Versions as well as current ones.
                      It is also automatically synchronised to the workstation when it connects to the server.

If you really want to backup you workstations entirely consider adding a Windows Home Server to your SBS network. It can take a full image of up to 10 workstations in the network with a quick restore to the previous day's state. Need more than 10? No problem - add a second WHS and so on. Buy a WHS with 2 x 1TB disks and you have an excellent solution to backing up workstations.
                      BTW part of this technology is being included in SBS Next

End of commecrcial break - normal service will now be resumed.
                      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                      http://www.wintra.co.il/
                      sigpic
                      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks teiger and all, I think I've understood now. I'll consider this one solved for me.

Comment

Working...
                        X