how to change Internal Website Link in RWW

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to change Internal Website Link in RWW

We have no use for WSS and to be honest it just makes a crap load of errors after updates...far to advanced and complicated for our small business...

But what would be useful is to put any URL of our choice into the RWW link for Internal Website but I have found little to know useful information on this topic.

Is there any way to change this w/o requiring $500 and a Microsoft MVP to visit!

Re: how to change Internal Website Link in RWW

uhh what link do you want to redirect it to? give more info please.

Comment

As mentioned I was inquiring how to edit it to place ANY link there of my choosing. It's obviously just a reference and there has to be somewhere to edit it regardless if MS made is easy or obvious.
      Last edited by carboncow; 7th October 2010, 17:13.

Comment

thats like using a nuclear missle to go bird hunting. Just shut down or remove it if you don't want it and setup the redirection in dns.

Comment

It is shutoff when You remove Sharepoint, so it seems odd to hang the button and link out there still to our staff...as I have already got inquires that the link is broken since users have curiosity to the buttons purpose even if they don't know what it's for.

If I knew how to remove the reference then chances are I would know how to edit the reference!

Not sure how your nuke to hunt metaphor applies...are you basically saying it's very complicated for a simple need?

Additionally, I'm not sure how making any changes to DNS would help with external references to this...but maybe that comment shows my limitations.

Your comments are a bit vague for me. Some specific input such as this is not handled in a wizard or editable webpage would give me better answers.

Comment

i gotta leave the office. I will give a better answer when I get back. The nuclear reference was I thought it would be wierd to use the almight and powerful sharepoint service just to redirect people to another link. It can do so so so much more.

Comment

Looks like I need to clarify my need some, but I'm sure you got some good answers for me.

We are not using Sharepoint...not what we need to be honest it seems like a train wreck (but that is another discussion). So we have removed Sharepoint due to the fact updates were creating errors all over the event log for something I don't even want.

This still leaves behind this reference (see screenshot) when our users login to Remote Web Workplace. We would like to set it to our internal website for staff that is more useful to our needs...but it wants to point to a Sharepoint Login even after Sharepoint has been removed. I've done some googl'n and cannot see where this URL reference is admin'd. I want control of that URL location to put something more functional in there. Again it seems silly that sharepoint is removed and this is still there and I've got people emailing me (even knowing they have no idea what it's for) saying the link is broken (since sharepoint is gone).

Always thought it was funny it says Internal Website but it really is not "our" internal website. It should have just said Sharepoint Website or be easily editable to the users needs. I'm guessing 90% of SBS buyers have no use for Sharepoint...

Comment

Ok I see. You can do it from IIS Manager but thats as far as I can take you sorry. I looked around and it looks promising but I don't want to try it on our live server lol.
                Good Luck

Comment

Hey folks

Has anyone manged to find a solution for this yet ? and or pointers where to change these settings, id like to redirect to another site i have created within iis on a different port.

Hope someone can help

Comment

I gave up on this. I spent several hours playing IIS based on JS4 comment and although I thought I new my way around IIS 6 enough was different in IIS 7 as well as the unique configs in SBS 2008 that I didn't want to mess with anything.

My biggest frustration was poking around 3 different SBS websites as well as a MS group with not a soul in sight who could answer this for sure.

Does every SBS business really use Sharepoint!?!?! I really see no use for this for most small business...it's not non intuitive or usable out of the box...so my guess most don't use and people like us wonder why there is not an easy way to make this link more usable. So my solution was to turn it off by right clicking on the the option under Websites in the SBS Console...I'd show you a screenshot but the right click functionality is no longer there (I'm assuming since I actually removed Bloatpoint (I mean Sharepoint)...

Sorry sound so bitter these days...I'm having a very bad love/hate relationship with SBS these day
                    Last edited by carboncow; 19th November 2010, 02:49.

Comment

i dunno if it's in IIS mate

it's probably more likely in the code that generates the page

i'll see if i can find an sbs08 server to have a look at today

I can get to that page you've shotted by going to http://localhost/rww or soemthing, right ?
                      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Just to jump in on this - apologies. Is RWW a licenseable product? By that I mean, remote desktop which requires CALS if connecting exernally is managed by terminal services manager - licensable.

I wasnt sure if it has been working with the 2 terminal sessions connectors you get with windows server. Not too sure if I am making sense?

Thanks

Comment

Ok, lost most my first attempt at a post so I'll leave out all the chit-chat...

I found in Windows SBS Console > Shared Folders and Web Sites > Web Sites a way to at least hide the "Internal Web Site" link

Double click RWW and go to "Home Page Links". Under "Manage Links" you seem to be able to add links as well.

Comment

Just to confirm, I did a test and the "Internal Web Site" link is gone.

You can add your own links which will be listed under the organization name beneath "Check E-Mail" from "Manage Links"

Comment

Working...
                            X