No announcement yet.

Preparing to migrate from 2003 - 2008

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing to migrate from 2003 - 2008

Hi all

I am going to be migrating a customer box from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 (new hardware).

I have got the detailed MS doc about this process, just have 2 questions right now about this:

1. If there are no <2003 servers in the domain, does raising the domain function level have any other effects?

2. Exchange is on Mixed mode but needs to be on Native mode - what effect does changing this have?

Re: Preparing to migrate from 2003 - 2008

both changes are irreversible...

the new DFL will give you an enhanced schema and enable new options or functions.

This link may help you a bit

this one should help you re exchange. It says it's for Ex2000, but I'm sure you can work on it further from here...
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Tehcamel pretty much covered it there. 2 other things to note, which are not in the migration guide. Make sure your Domain Admin password meets default complexity requirements, and if you are using public routable IPs you will need to switch to private IPs to migrate and then switch back.

Both of these things I have seen at multiple SBS sites, as they have not always been implemented according to best practices or by professionals.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      Cruachan's Blog

I understand they are both irreversible, just wondered about any other side effects - I'll take a read of that link tonight/tomorrow.

Good point re password requirements, which do not conform currently - missing an upper case!