• copy sbs2003 to a new server

Hi,
    I have this structure.

One server Small Business 2003 that is running fine

AD with 9 or 10 users and 7-8 computers

Some printers...

Exchange running...

SQL running...

The hardware is an assembled one and 5 or 6 years old.

Customer wants to use a new hardware but doesn't want to buy a new server license.

SBS 2003 was installed separately (not bought with the hardware) on this old server.

I must perform this work.

How would you manage at the best this transition ?

Thanks for your time.

Re: copy sbs2003 to a new server

at the very least, you need to do a complete reinstall - the hardware is too separate and different.

what sort of SBS license do you have ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Personally, I would use the SBS Migration kit to do the job.

http://www.sbsmigration.com/

Comment

I would like to know as well. My hardware is getting very old. I downloaded a tool from Microsoft called Disk2vhd and was thinking of virtualizing my SBS 2003. I don't know if it will work or not. I may try it after I solve my DNS issue.

Comment

Migration is well documented, both on the microsoft site and (as pointed out already) the Swing Migration one.

Not sure about P2V -- I would prefer to swing to a new, clean server!
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Disk2vhd will work fine (if that is the sysinternals one) though you may have problems getting it to boot initially. Once that is solved, be aware that you are now officially unsupported as MS does not support SBS 2003 in a VM. As we well know that doesn;t mean it doesn't work - just that if there are problems and you want MS/PSS to fix them, you have to reinstall the server on a physical machine first.
            FYI I have one customer on SBS2003 in Hyper-V. For other reasons I chose to do that, knowing I'd have no MS support in case of problems. However, unless you are very confident that you can maintain the server come what may, I don't recommend it in a production environment.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I used the SBS Swing Migration Kit two years ago to move SBS 2003 from an old server to a new server. The advantage to doing it this way as opposed to a reinstall is minimizing your down time.

If by chance the original SBS 2003 license was an OEM purchase, you might have problems activating it on new hardware as this would violate MS licensing.
              Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Many thanks to you all.

I was already informed (but absolutely not skilled !) about
                www.sbsmigration.com/
                and also about
                VM migration
                but I don't think to follow these tracks.

I have arranged a mini simulation lab in my office with :

computer A (192.168.1.61) acting as SBS2003 server for domain alpha.org

computer B (192.168.1.101) acting as SBS2003 server for domain beta.org

client C WinXPSP3 (192.168.1.51) of domain alpha.org

My idea is trying to copy every functions and related properties of alpha.org domain (exchange, sql, ...)
                into beta.org domain and then to insert every client (that is already in alpha.org) also in beta.org

I realize that this idea is not at all easy to accomplish !

Before doing this I have the first question.
                As said by RobW, how can I realize if the original license is OEM or not ?
                I didn't see anymore the license paper that is (I hope !!!) by customer together with original CD.

Second question.
                Before trying to insert client C in domain beta.org I have to insert into forward lookup zones of
                dns of alpha.org
                a new zone (at the same level of "_msdcs.alpha.org" and "alpha.org") named "beta.org" or
                may be that something other must be accomplished first ?

During my test i will have some other questions which i thank you in advance for.

Thanks for your time.

Comment

You can't have two SBS 2003 servers on the same network. You can't demote an SBS server either. If you replicate to a temp domain controller, you never change anything on the orginal SBS server if anything goes wrong. If you replicate from the temp domain contoller back to your new hardware, you keep the same server name, server IP and SSIDs so the migration is transparent and you don't end up reinstalling all the workstations.

Comment

You can have 2 SBS servers on a temporary (1 month, IIRC) basis while you migrate. After that it WILL cause problems
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                      You can have 2 SBS servers on a temporary (1 month, IIRC) basis while you migrate. After that it WILL cause problems
                      I stand correced however, you can't copy everything from one server to another server without reinstalling everything. The server you are copying everything to will not have the same FQDN.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                        I'm going to say 1 week and Steven can come and declare a winner.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                          I stand correced however, you can't copy everything from one server to another server without reinstalling everything. The server you are copying everything to will not have the same FQDN.

You can do a bit lvl transfer if you are willing to slip in the drives and firmware for the new hardware. There was a version of Archnos that allowed you to restore to different hardware and it worked wonderfully.

Now, I am not 100% sure if the MS license will let you do this, as the GUID of the server will change (massive hardware change).

I would still recommend a reinstall (I would actuly do a complete reinstall, no migration except for data (and databases)). SBS2003 is a FAST install, you really dont need to speed it up at all.

Wofen
                          Good to be back....

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                            I'm going to say 1 week and Steven can come and declare a winner.
                            I deliberately didn't mention the time limit becuase:
                            a) I can't remember
                            b) There was an update which changed it to a longer period.

So you may be correct at 1 week, Biggles77 for a raw install, but IIRC the update may stretch that to two weeks. So no prizes for anyone, including me (especially me!). We all get an "F" and more homework to do
                            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                            http://www.wintra.co.il/
                            sigpic
                            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                            X