Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File sharing

Hi guys,

I'm trying to get up to date with the latest trends on doing things. I've been told I'm stuck in the ages when it comes to file sharing.

Just want to get an idea on how you guys share files within a site and allow them to be remotely accessed?

Shared drives? VPN? Completely through sharepoint for both in office and remotely?

Nothing too advanced.

Thanks guys!

Re: File sharing

Personally, shared drives locally
    For a remote site ideally another server and DFS-R (router-to-router vpn). Either use site logon scripts or DFS to pick up local rather than remote share.
    If not big enough, router-router VPN and access shares at home site over that

Most users do not understand sharepoint!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

How about a situation where there's a site but then only a few users would need to access some files when they are on the road (not at another site).. they could be anywhere.

Comment

Surely thats where the remote facilties will kick in -- rdp to another machine and access files.
        Alternatively RRAS VPN or router to host VPN?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I really depends on the company infrastructure and the type of internet access a home user has.

SharePoint - great for allowing access to a range of files and information externally and of course should work through most firewalls depending on their access location. However, best practice is not to replace file shares just with SharePoint, so potentially, you still need to provide access to file shares.

VPN access - this tends to work quite well, however, I tend to find it depends on the user's quality of Internet connection and uplaod speed of the Company's Internet. Typically, file share access is slow. If the user has a dedicated desktop for them at work, I always give them the ability to RDP to their desktop from home. Makes training a lot easier and they use an access method for network resources that they are familiar with.

There are of course many other methods.

Comment

With RDP though, the users don't actually have PCs back in the office and use their laptops instead both in the office and offsite.

Would I need to get a dedicated PC for RDP connections? Only about 5 users will need to RDP back. If I have about 5 users remoting back concurrently to the 1 PC, would performance be an issue? Would a high end PC resolve it?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gerdy View Post
              With RDP though, the users don't actually have PCs back in the office and use their laptops instead both in the office and offsite.

Would I need to get a dedicated PC for RDP connections? Only about 5 users will need to RDP back. If I have about 5 users remoting back concurrently to the 1 PC, would performance be an issue? Would a high end PC resolve it?

Thanks
              If this is how you guys work, use a terminal server, make a virtual one and run it on your SBS machine, then it costs no extra hardware or electricity. We use this on sites we run for clients. Use remote web workplace and set the terminal server as their default machine to remote to.

Comment

Sorry - no TS on SBS!!
                However, set up a simple client in the office and let it be used for RWW.
                Also, if the info does not need to be fully real time, then offline files either to file shares or mapped to a sharepoint library coupled with Outlook anywhere should suffice.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

use RWW then add the folder shares to the rww site. you can also you iscsi which can be used to put several drives even on different servers or computers and group them into one logical drive letter.

Comment

Working...
                  X