Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

install a trusted root ca on a client that is not a member of the domain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• install a trusted root ca on a client that is not a member of the domain?

can i do that?
    if yes,how?

i am trying to implement rpc over https
    part of the client computer is not a member of the domain

Re: install a trusted root ca on a client that is not a member of the domain?

Save yourself a lot of hassle and buy a 3rd party certificate. GoDaddy charge well under $100 for a Subject Alternative Name cert that is easy to install on your server

This will be trusted by all clients, not just domain members
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Copy the .cer file on to the machine.
      Type MMC in a run box, add the certificates snap-in to the MMC and choose Computer Account and then Local Computer.
      Right Click Trusted Root Certification Authorities, go to All Tasks and then Import. Import the .cer file and you should then see it in the list in the MMC. Job done.

You can also double-click a certificate to install it, but I don't recommend that as it adds the certificate to the current user's trusted certifcation authorities store and not the computer's. So it'll only ever work for the user logged on at the time of installation.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

first of all thank you for this replay
        second where can i copy the .cer file from

Comment

Process is documented here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archi...-my-users.aspx

Thank you,
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X