No announcement yet.

Email Delivery Failures

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Delivery Failures

Im roughly new to exchange but i do know the fundamentals of it. I am running an Exchange Server 2003 on a SBS 2003. Now lately we have been using an outside email source and we've been getting email fine. But, once i started to implement or email server we havent gotten anything.

I have set up our email server as a primery server in which email will go to, and our outside email provider as our backup. Now all the users are set up correctly but when connecting users cannot send nor receive, any email. THe server downlods the mail but does not distibute it. When trying to send email with the exchange account I keep getting these errors

There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.
    < #5.5.0 smtp;550 Relaying not allowed>

I really need to get this done whoever can help please i will greatly appreciate it

Re: Email Delivery Failures

Question title updated to be more descriptive. Question moved to the SBS 2003 topic area.

As this is SBS 2003, did you configure it with the wizards? If not then you should have done. SBS 2003 is designed to configured with the wizards exclusively. Attempting to configure the server outside of the wizards will cause problems.

It also sounds like you are using the POP3 connector - again this is configured with the wizards.

The error you have posted is not an Exchange error. If you have configured the server to send via your ISPs SMTP server then you may well have to authenticate when sending email through their server. Again the wizards will guide you to do this.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Sembee is right that initially, at least, you need to UTFW. However, since those wizrds were written the spam factor has increased hundreds-fold and the need to authenticate outward on SMTP was not included. Therefore listen to my friend, Kevin Weilbacher who tells you how to do it at

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

OK thank you very much... i no its been a lil over due but thankyou