No announcement yet.

How does faxing work with SBS 2003?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does faxing work with SBS 2003?

Hello All,

Sorry for the rather dumb question, but i cant see any clear explanations.

Currently we have Internet > Router > Switch > Server (SBS 2003 R2) / Clients (XP Pro SP3)

We have a separate phone line that just has a Fax machine and PDQ terminal sat on it. We also have signed up to a fax-to-email service, so all our incoming emails are routed to an email account. The fax phone line now seems redundant to me and i want to get SBS to handle the faxes. I know i need to get some fax modem connected to the server.

My question is, do i need a separate phone line to send the faxes out? Or can it all go down the single internet line?

Sorry for the rather confusing question!

Re: How does faxing work with SBS 2003?

All you would be doing is putting a modem into your SBS and sending faxes from that -- you will still need an analogue "POTS" phone line
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Kinda what i thought.

Is there anyway to have SBS sending and receiving faxes on a phone line, with a telephone on the line as well?

Do you mean being able to send a fax and make a phone call at the same time or have a fax on the same phone line as a telephone? If it is the latter then yes but you need a Fax Switch so it can differentiate between a fax and a voice call.

One thing to consider if you use a Fax/modem on and SBS bos is to use an External Modem. If you use an Internal Modem and it hangs/locks up then you have to reboot the SBS box to reset the modem. Not really convenient. An External Modem can be power cycled without having to reboot the Server.
        Departed: 23rd December 2015

Also make sure any modem you buy (and as Biggles77 said PLEASE make it an external one) is on the SBS approved Fax/Modem list - others work but usually miss up to 20% of incoming faxes.
          If you do a lot of faxing (ie more than about 10 a day) consider getting a separate fax server with a proper board like Brooktrout or similar.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]

Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.