No announcement yet.

RMS on SBS2008

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RMS on SBS2008

I've installed RMS role on SBS2008 as the customer wants to use these features but does not have another server on site.

The install went well, the service has started - I followed MS' advice but clients cannot access the service.

I also cannot browse to the licensing service. This does exist in IIS but if withing it I click 'browse to site' I get 'forbidden directory browsing.

Enabling this just takes me to a site that enumarates the subsites.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but for the life of me I can't think what it is so any help would be much appreciated

Re: RMS on SBS2008

Is this the same problem reported here:

Note cache needed as Experts Exchange will not otherwise work

Suggestion seems to be "do not use it" but there are some fixes given
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

A page stating "directory browsing forbidden" usually means there's a problem with the default document for the web site. It's either missing or it's not listed as a default document in the properties of the site.

Note, you normally do not need and should not have directory browsing enabled.

thanks for the responses guys - yes I've checked both of those articles and it's not that.

I created the user RMSAdmin specifically because it was on a DC and it all installed OK and everything runs with no errors. It's just that no-one can connect to the damned thing.

All the default documents seem to be there in inetpub\wwwroot.

Unbelievably frustrating that M$ don't have any specific documentation for implementing this in an SBS environment (especially given how much they are pimping it)

Turns out it was something totally obvious and now feel like a complete dumba55 that it was such a blatant ID 10 T error.

On setup it had not added a record for rms.mydomain

Adding this fixed the issue.

Basic troubleshooting fail.

cheers for the reponses though