No announcement yet.

Retrieving Folders other than the Inbox

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrieving Folders other than the Inbox

I am new to SBS2008, however, I have it set up and would now like to populate the mailboxes from the users old mail system (Linux sendmail). I set up the POP3 connector and it worked great for retrieving the inbox mail, however, it did not pick up the sent mail or other user created folders. I haven't been able to figure out if it is working as designed, or if something is wrong. Any thoughts?

Re: Retrieving Folders other than the Inbox

This is design behaviour for POP3

What email client is being used -- if it is Outlook, setting up RPC/HTTPS (Outlook Anywhere) is quick and cheap. If not, OWA client is pretty good!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Some end users will use outlook and I don't expect them to have a problem because all of their folders are already there. However, others currently use webmail and will move to OWA. I need to make sure all of the web based users have their mail and folders already set up before they migrate to the new system.

If there are messages on a server in folders then how did those folders get created?
        The POP3 connector will only retrieve the Inbox because that is all POP3 supports. All other folders are client side. Creating folders outside of Inbox is usually done by IMAP.

Therefore you need to establish if IMAP is available to that server. If it is, then the data can be moved using Outlook. It isn't quick, but that is about your only option. Purchasing something to do the work for you is unlikely to be worth the cost for a small number of users on an SBS Server.

Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
        Exchange Resources List:
        In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

The folders were created through the existing webmail (browser based) client.

If POP3 only support inbox messages, that is what I need to know...seems like there might not be a way to make this invisible to the end users. I was hoping to point them to the new OWA client location and have all of their mail (and folders) ready for them.
          Thanks for the information.