No announcement yet.

SBS 2008 RWW 'Connect to Computer' otption continuously prompting for authentication

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 RWW 'Connect to Computer' otption continuously prompting for authentication

Hello there,

My 1st post here and would really appreciate some direction on my query.

Platform: SBS 2008 SP2 with Windows XP SP3 clients.

Background / Initial Requirement; want to specify a workstation logon restriction that will allow a user to log on only to a specified computer in domain – This was successfully achieved via Active Directory Users and Computers i.e. right click properties on user account / select ‘Account’ tab / click ‘Log On To…’ option and add computer name to the list – user is now able to only logon to the allocated workstation on internal LAN so problem solved here – the user is also a RWW user – user is able to access the initial RWW page but after entering username and password credentials a username / password authentication failure is displayed continuously (even after retries), if I remove the computer name from the ‘Log On To…’ option list, the user is successfully able to access RWW – the fix here was simply to also include the server name in addition to the workstation name to the ‘Log On To…’ list - so, not only is the user only permitted to use the one allocated PC on the LAN but he can also access RWW and is able to access the ‘check E-Mail’ option – The problem I have now is that when I click on the ‘Connect to a Computer’ option I’m displayed with the standard ‘Enter your credentials’ dialog box but upon entering user name (domain\username) and password it redisplays the same ‘Enter your credentials’ dialog box continuously without an error message (even after retries) – any ideas as to why this is happening and how to fix it?

Many thanks,

Re: SBS 2008 RWW 'Connect to Computer' otption continuously prompting for authenticat

Moved from coffee lounge to SBS 08 forum
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **