SBS2011 WSUS Reset Forever

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2011 WSUS Reset Forever

I'll try to make a long story less long.

WSUS was not maintained for about 2 years

The database cleanup stopped at the same point after running every evening and each weekend for 2 months. With or without reindexing SUSDB.

I moved the database to a different directory and did a RESET. This reclaimed a lot of disk space even though the WSUS Cleanup would still not run, I was happier.

Recently, I noticed my free disk space being gobbled up. At some point we received an update that included Win 10 products and in the process checked all software in all categories. At least that is what I think happened.

I decided that with only 15 computers I would rather let the clients download the updates local and that would probably put an end to all of my problems. After all, band width is easier to find than disk space. So I clicked the checkbox.

I would have thought this would be a 3 second operation which would whack now unnecessary db and continue with my new setting.

Instead, it appears to be running a RESET which has now been running for 3 weeks. With my knowledge I can't tell if it is in some kind of endless loop or if it may finish at some point.
    I have read that the RESET cannot be stopped and if I reboot the server it will either resume or start again so I have been reluctant to do anything.

So now for my real question:

What the heck am I supposed to do with this thing??

Thanks
    TuckerJ
    Last edited by TuckerJ; 5th October 2015, 15:43.

Uninstall WSUS and start again?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Uninstall WSUS and start again?
      That is probably the best option but how do I stop this runaway train of a database rebuild?

Thanks

Comment

When you uninstall, you can choose to delete the database
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks, I'll do as you say. I was thinking the database would resist getting deleted with a process still running.

Comment

Always first step with SBS issues as well - run the BPA. WSUS is well known for doing strange things if it is not configured exactly as SBS expects, and the BPA should tell you which settings aren't correct.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thought I should return to this thread to say that WSUS unload/reload went much better than expected and all is well.

It also gave me a chance to relocate the DB to a different volume and resulted in a DB reorg that actually runs.

Thanks
              TuckerJ

Comment

Thanks for posting back and letting us know the result TuckerJ. It really is appreciated as believe it or not, we do like to know if the suggestions/pointers/help provided do solve the issue. So, and one for the road as long as you ain't driving.

Was John Denver actually popular due to the song he sung about your area? Just curious. (Loved the photo gallery. )
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                  Was John Denver actually popular due to the song he sung about your area? Just curious. (Loved the photo gallery. )
                  To this day they sing Country Roads at most home games and sometimes away. Kind of funny, the Blue Ridge Mountains aren't even in WV and only about 20 miles of the Shenandoah River. With our reputation we don't get many happy songs about our state.

We were on a small island of Belize a few years ago and the first song we heard at a lean-to outside bar at the end of the island was a local version of Country Roads.

Wondered if they even knew what they were singing about.

TuckerJ

Comment

Thanks for that as I have a thing for trivia. Shame about your state reputation because the scenery is really quite spectacular. I have seen lots of images taken by chopper pilots as they do pipeline and powerline patrols. In a word, breathtaking.

Hope things are good for you and your family.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X