No announcement yet.

SBS 2011 - 2011 Migration, "FATAL: Add_CA_Role"

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2011 - 2011 Migration, "FATAL: Add_CA_Role"

This is really beginning to wear me down.

I have a SBS 2011 that's currently a VM on a capable but low spec box. There was a second VM in place, running the SBS Premium Add-On as the SQL server.

The SQL server has recently been migrated to independent hardware (successfully) and since there's no longer a need to keep the SBS Standard vitualised, I've moved the VM temporarily to another box and I want to migrate it back to the original hardware as a physical server, cutting out the Windows Server Standard that was running the Hyper-V host.

Every time I run the migration it fails with FATAL: Add_CA_Role and for the life of me I just can't see where it's going wrong. I have 3 different versions of the answer file, created on the source server during the migration prep tool, different combinations of "Download Updates"/"Don't Download Updates", Run unattended or not, I've tried the original Dell Systems Build disk and I've tried it with my SBS Standard DVD (original) but it's just not happening.

I have to return to the source server, remove the new server from AD, then try the migration again.

Where do I start to figure out the cause, and put it right of course?

Last edited by Robbiedoo; 16th October 2015, 13:45.

In my experience about 90% of migration issues come from non-standard configuration changes that have been made to the source server. You should have done this already as part of the migration, but run all the usual diagnostic tools (SBS BPA, DCDiag, Netdiag) and correct any issues. Backup any custom GPOs you have and then remove them prior to attempting another migration.

You should be able to re-run the Exchange SP install once you've corrected any errors that were in the logs, an SP install in Exchange 2010 is effectively a full reinstall so it should sort any issues.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    Cruachan's Blog