Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TEMP ownership for backup

Hi guys,

One of my sites has a server running SBS 2008 SP2 and a backup software called Backup Assist.

I was having problems with my backup and the tech support guys told me that I need to take ownership of the TEMP directory in systemroot. When I do this, the backup works fine - however the next day the backup will fail and I would have to retake ownership of the TEMP folder for the back up to work.

It seems like the folder is being changed to the default permissions after you change it.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks in advance!

Re: TEMP ownership for backup

Hi Gerdy,

I would be looking for a different backup solution or asking the company for a different fix to your problem.

You can (although) not great, create a scheduled task to take ownershipand and change permission if required daily before the backup happens. This ca be done using the following commands and popping them into a task ;

For Files:

takeown /f file_name /d y
    icacls file_name /grant administrators:F

For Folders or Directories (will perform action recursively):

takeown /f directory_name /r /d y
    icacls directory_name /grant administrators:F /t

Ste
    Steven Roberts
    IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

I have been trying to get a solution from these guys for 2 weeks now and nothing. They say theyve never seen this situation before.

Your solution may have to do even though I wouldnt want to clutter the server with these types of things that should be able to be avoided.

Comment

How about excluding that directory from the backup? It is afterall a temp directory, and nothing in there is required for the long term operation of the server and shouldn't need to be backed up.

Comment

I'm not backing up the TEMP directory... But for some reason this still happens.

Comment

Is SBS 2008 supported by the application vendor? If so, it's down to them to fix their product. If not, then you need to find a product that is.

What user are you running the backup as and what groups is the user a member of?
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Ste View Post
              Hi Gerdy,

I would be looking for a different backup solution or asking the company for a different fix to your problem.

You can (although) not great, create a scheduled task to take ownershipand and change permission if required daily before the backup happens. This ca be done using the following commands and popping them into a task ;

For Files:

takeown /f file_name /d y
              icacls file_name /grant administrators:F

For Folders or Directories (will perform action recursively):

takeown /f directory_name /r /d y
              icacls directory_name /grant administrators:F /t

Ste
              I agree
              get other software, i had it on one of my sites too.
              and there was nothing but trouble with the back-up
              take something else because this is a waste of time and money

Comment

Working...
              X