Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to remove SBS from Network

Hello all,

As the title suggests, I am about to demote, then remove SBS 2003 from my network.

My question is licensing-wise: I have 40 SBS CALs installed on that server - do they reflect in any way on other servers that are installed on the network (Exchange, files, IIS, etc.)? i.e, after I remove SBS from the network, along with its CALS, will I be getting licensing errors on the other servers (and their clients), or is it every man to himself / every server and its CALs, and if everything was in order up till now, it will be OK after I remove the SBS server?

Re: About to remove SBS from Network

You should have no licensing issues -- SBS is one of the few products which check license counts, most do it on an "honour" system (or an "honor" system for our American cousins )
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian, thanks for the reply.

Don't get me wrong - I have CALs for all of my products, but in many of microsoft's products you never get the chance to input serial numbers for your purchased CAL packages... MS licensing is somewhat confusing, but if you're saying that SBS CALs are responsible only for the number of concurrent connection the the SBS server itself, and not to other member servers or services on the network - then I'm OK... I just don't want to encounter a "Client Access Licenses Exceeded" error...

Comment

Oh my, if only it were that easy...

You need to look towards transition packs my friend.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555073

Ste
        Steven Roberts
        IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Hi Ste,
          Is that also true if I want to completely remove this server from my network? I already have an Exchange 2007 server, and two more domain controllers. I do not wish to upgrade SBS to server 2003, I wish to terminate it.

Comment

My belief is, and somebody correct me if I am wrong, is that all SBS licensing laws still apply unless you use the transition pack.

I think even if you uninstall Exchange 2003 from your SBS and even if you seize all roles on another DC, this will still leave the old SBS licensing laws in effect.

Ste
            Steven Roberts
            IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

As a matter of fact, SBS restrictions (75 users, etc) are not an issue for me. I want to upgrade the domain to 2008r2 for security and compatibility reasons.
              I have found many different opinions on the net regarding how to do this: some say if SBS doesn't hold Exchange - forcefully remove it from the network, then seize FSMO and clean AD metadata. some say relocate FSMO, remove GC, then a straight forward demote and remove from domain. some say transition pack...

Comment

With any luck we will get someone posting here who has done the same thing in the past
                Steven Roberts
                IT Mercenary

Comment

I haven't "done it" but I do know this. SBS CALS include the Server, Exchange and, in the case of Premium, the SQL CALS. If you "break out" of SBS without the Transition Pack, then you have to buy the full set of CALs all over again - you get 5 usually with each server. If, however, you buy Transition Pack then you only pay the difference in what you would have paid, had you bought the CALs directly - a considerable financial saving for 40 CALS.
                  PS No licensing laws further enforced, whichever way you do it.
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi Teiger,
                    This was the answer I was looking for.
                    Full version Exchange and SQL were purchased and installed on dedicated servers some years ago. also, we have an OVS agreement with Microsoft and we can afford to buy a few extra CALs. what we definitely cannot afford, is downtime due to licensing issues. I rather complete the process, then call our licensing retailer to come and have a look at the new configuration.

Comment

Working...
                    X