No announcement yet.

XP SP3 clients not finding DC (SBS'08)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP SP3 clients not finding DC (SBS'08)

Since moving to the new domain, the XP pcs on older hardware are very hard to join to the domain. Should I be looking at DHCP settings on the server? Is this exacerbated by cloned machines having identical network names? Under Server 2003, once you had removed old client records, it was very easy to join - even without the "Wizard" Now I have to resort to moving the machine to another workgroup and restarting - the server is working well with no obvious DNS errors. The only thing is that we no longer run WINS. Any hints much appreciated.

Re: XP SP3 clients not finding DC

What I do in similar situations is try the domain without the .local first, and then if this doesn't resolve when adding to domain, use the FQDN - mydomain.local

Make sure that your clients only point to valid DNS servers, sounds like you have an SBS environment.

ensure DHCP is pushing out the DNS address of your SBS server and no WINS address.

run an ipconfig /flushdns on your client machines.

As long as your client machines have all the relevant info, and DNS is working fine on the domain, this will be no problem.

Ste
    Steven Roberts
    IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Originally posted by Ste View Post
      sounds like you have an SBS environment
      Should you not be advising him to use the wizard then?
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hehe, good call.

I always forget that the first port of call in SBS is UTFW!

Steven Roberts
        IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Good tips thank you. I will follow this up tomorrow. Thanks again.

Comment

I'm moving this to SBS 2008 for better responses
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X