Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating SBS 2008 to new hardware using the migration method

Hi,

Im looking to migrate our SBS 2008 server to different hardware, whilst reading the instructions and creating an answer file it says that the source and the destination server cant be the same name - based on the fact this process involves both servers being on the network I appreciate this to be fact.

What I wanted to do was a complete migration warts n all (including the server name) have I missed something or am I going to have to use a bare metal recovery method?

Thanks

Why do you need to keep the server name? It's trivial to create a DNS alias of the old server name pointing to the new one which is sufficient for most badly written apps that depend on hard-coded server names to work.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Are you going from SBS 2008 to a newer version or are you just wanting to change hardware?

If it's just hardware change then a BMR would be the easiest.
      - Get a maintenance window for the weekend
      - Make sure all users are disconnected and disable the internet connection
      - perform a final backup and turn off the server
      - perform a BMR on the new hardware
      - Verify the server comes up fully on the new hardware (test all functions: file shares, applications, email, etc)
      - Enable the internet and allow users to connect again

Much easier than installing Windows and migrating data/applications.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Just changing hardware yes.... As for why do I want to keep the name the same I just envisaged problems changing the DC name etc and thought it easier to keep the name the same.

I have completed a bare metal recovery from this machine to test our DR which went fine so I was swayed towards that method. It was just all the other bumph that comes over with it like HP applications which would no longer be required.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
          Are you going from SBS 2008 to a newer version or are you just wanting to change hardware?

If it's just hardware change then a BMR would be the easiest.
          - Get a maintenance window for the weekend
          - Make sure all users are disconnected and disable the internet connection
          - perform a final backup and turn off the server
          - perform a BMR on the new hardware
          - Verify the server comes up fully on the new hardware (test all functions: file shares, applications, email, etc)
          - Enable the internet and allow users to connect again

Much easier than installing Windows and migrating data/applications.
          Hi,

Are you aware of any issues when doing a full windows backup to a network share and then moving that backup to a different external drive (backing up SBS2008 )?

Thanks
          Last edited by biggles77; 22nd May 2015, 09:20. Reason: Fix the 8) smilie issue

Comment

There should be no issues doing that.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi,

Just to revisit this as I never got around to it - until a recent test. How long can a DC\SBS2008 box lay dormant until its re-introduced to a domain? If I restore the server to test (not connected to the network) and then once Im happy turn the old DC off and this one back on will there be any issues? Obviously providing that the email is restored separately as this would have changed and the fact there are no files shared stored on this server?

The reason I ask this is because the backup and restore window I have (the weekend) isn't long enough

Thanks
              Last edited by 5habbaranks; 6th August 2015, 15:46.

Comment

60 days is the default tombstone period (the period after which a DC decides I am too far out of sync to reconnect to AD) and you can query AD to check if it has been changed, check here:-

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...=ws.10%29.aspx
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by 5habbaranks View Post
                  The reason I ask this is because the backup and restore window I have (the weekend) isn't long enough
                  Why would it take so long? I have done a 1TB server from a USB 2.0 external hard drive in less than 6 hours.How much data are you needing to restore?

All a BMR is doing is copying the image to the disk (and a few other things that don't take very long) so unless you have more than 10TB to restore then you should be able to do it.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                  X