SBS 2003 keeps hanging but is operational

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 keeps hanging but is operational

I have this SBS 2003 that i have made a domain controller. Now im having a issue every time I log into my machine it hangs on "Applying Computer Settings" for about an 1 1/2 hour, same happens when rebooting and powering down. I've checked my DNS, and my event log but i don't see anything out of the ordinary.

Re: SBS 2003 keeps hanging but is operational

Try destroying your profile (log on as another admin account to do so) and see if a new one makes things faster.
    Is it every account, or just one?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

OK thank you I will try that right as soon as this boots right back up

Comment

What did you do to "make" the server a DC? SBS is always a DC.

Which machine are you logging into - the server or a workstation?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I am loged on to the server. and when i sdaid i made the SBS 2003 the DC, I said that because the original DC was a Standard 2008 Server. But was later switched around, SBS 2003 the DC and the 2008 a BDC. But now im getting some issues one it being the issue i posted earlier and the second is that during any installation the application hangs. THis is the first time i mess with any form of SBS

Comment

So you installed SBS into an existing AD domain?
            It can be done, but isnt easy
            (see http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...meta=&aq=f&oq= for more info)

Was your previous domain (with a 2008 server) still at the 2003 functional level?
            Have you cleaned all traces of the old server -- the delays might be due to looking for it.

IMHO this is not how SBS is intended to be used, so unless you are absolutely sure you have performed the install correctly, you may well be better blowing away the SBS and starting again without the legacy baggage.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

No the 2008 was set to a 2008 function level, and i couldn't have the 2003 join because of the difference in levels. So thats when we had switched btw servers, i demoted the 2008 and had made it a BDC and the 2003 a DC but now im getting this slowness and hangings. I had made sure tyo erase all traces on both servers, but i might just reinstall the 2003 cuz the 2008 is perfectly fine.

Comment

To clarify... you removed AD from the 2008 server, then separately set up SBS 2003, and then added the 2008 server to the domain and promoted it?

There aren't PDCs and BDCs any more just DCs. DCs can also be Global Catalogs, and there are 5 FSMO roles which are each held on exactly 1 DC.
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

You post that you checked DNS, but don't say any more. Please show an IPCONFIG /ALL summary here and we may be able to continue.
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Agreed, this just doesn't make sense.

No the 2008 was set to a 2008 function level, and i couldn't have the 2003 join because of the difference in levels (ok)

So thats when we had switched btw servers, i demoted the 2008 and had made it a BDC (you mean you removed the last domain controller in this domain?)

and the 2003 a DC (did you just complete the install of SBS and give this a new domain name and then add the 2008 server to it?)

but now im getting this slowness and hangings. I had made sure tyo erase all traces on both servers, but i might just reinstall the 2003 cuz the 2008 is perfectly fine (reinstalling the OS here is not going to fix your problems, sounds like your whole design needs a rethink)

So if you can answer the questions posed and post a IPconfig from all servers I am sure we can help!
                    Steven Roberts
                    IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Yes I have rethinked the the way the network will be set up and worked on it over the weekend. Yes I reinstalled the SBS 2003 and thats the DC. The 2008 server has joined the SBS 2003 domain, and as of now im not getting any issues. Thank you everyone for your help it was greatly appreciated. It helped me to find my answer.

Comment

Am I the only one who did not understand the problem?
                        Of course, if you took the weekend and "rethinked" your design, then reinstalled from scratch, it had better work! If not, then the problem is a lot more serious than I thought.
                        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                        http://www.wintra.co.il/
                        sigpic
                        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                        X