No announcement yet.

Reinstall SBS 2008

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinstall SBS 2008

I have a very very weared problem with my SBS 2008.
    I installed the server about 6 month ago, for some reason one day i tried to add a new user with the add user wizard but with no success, i'm getting an error on the AD.
    I did a system state recovery and after the recovery i got more problems.
    now i'm in a position of no faxing coming in (the fax server take the call but the fax not receiving the fax) alots of error on databases, but I can add a new user.
    so i decided to reinstall the server all over, now my question is, can I save the AD (all the user list and info) and after i'll install the new server to import the AD settings and list.

Thank you all for your help,

Re: Reinstall SBS 2008

you might need to do a full system state backup, then after reinstalling the OS,
    you can do an authoritative restore of AD.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

if i'll do a full system state backup and restore it you think that all my error won't back with the restore?
      I can't just backup and restore the AD?

How do I run full system state back on sbs 2008?

Thanks for your help

The following link is useful.

Ensure you backup any data etc as well.

But if your error is in AD, then a system-state backup and restore is just going to perpetuate that error!

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

I wonder what the error is? Maybe if we had that information some solutions could be suggested to fix it.
              Departed: 23rd December 2015

I did clean installation and than restore my system state backup
                works fine but now I have some permission issuses on the registry.
                I can't install office or even adobe reader?!? some regkey I don't have permissions.
                There is and way to reset the registry permission to default, or and other way to get full access as an administrator on the registry.

How many users / computers?

It may be best to do a totally clean install
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Originally posted by yoavna View Post
                    I can't install office
                    Why are you installing Office on the SBS server?
                    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.