Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook Connection - looks for Outlook Anywhere even when not enabled

Hi Everyone,

Odd one here - I'm doing an SBS2008 migration and Exchange is all working as expected except one odd thing.

Server name is server.local
    Domain is domain.local
    RPC over HTTPS (Outlook Anywhere) URL with proper cert is https://remote.domain.com

When I configure Outlook2007 for a user and just set it as a normal exchange account, no Exchange Proxy settings defined I open up Outlook and up pops a box asking for credentials to connect to remote.domain.com

Does anyone know why it would look for remote.domain.com when its set for server.domain.local in exchange account prefs?

The account does get mail OK so it is for all intents and purposes working except the damn credentials popup happens all the time.

Does anyone know where outlook or exchange would be picking up this information from as i'm not telling it to do?

Also I noticed in DNS entries had been created for remote.domain.com and pointing to the internal address. I have removed these entries for now as I thought they could be confusing things.

Any help greatly appreciated, this ones really got me scratching my head!

Thanks
    Dan

Re: Outlook Connection - looks for Outlook Anywhere even when not enabled

OK bit of an update, I think what I'm experiencing is described here-
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archi...rver-2008.aspx

I'm going to research this and will consider applying Exchange 2007 SP2 this evening (After a backup!) by the looks of things a previous update which is installed changes some IIS settings causing problems internally but not externally.

I'll report back with more progress, if anyone has any input that would be really appreciated.

Comment

You beat me to it.

Update Rollup 7 for Exchange 2007 causes all manner of weirdness, so I'd get at least Update Rollup 9 on there. SP3 came out a few weeks ago as well.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

SP3... Oh no sounds like trouble

I was just about to pull the trigger on the SP2 install as a backups just finished but it's getting late and I could do without the hassle tonight especially if something doesn't go right.

For the SP2 install I'm going to use the MS tool for installing SP2 on an SBS Server (Nice guide here) So you think I should install Rollup 9 first or just go to SP2?

Also do Rollups have to go on in order ie. If I currently have up to Rollup 7 do I have to install 8 then 9 or just go straight to 9? TBH I'm not sure what rollup level it's at, it will be whatever the SBS2008 SP1 Migration installer would put on. I've found this script that will hopefully shed some light on that.

Thanks again for the help
        Dan
        Originally posted by cruachan View Post
        You beat me to it.

Update Rollup 7 for Exchange 2007 causes all manner of weirdness, so I'd get at least Update Rollup 9 on there. SP3 came out a few weeks ago as well.

Comment

From running the script below I have-

SERVER [Mailbox, Client Access, Hub Transport] [Standard] 8.0.535.0
          07/07/2010 : Update Rollup 6 for Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 1 (KB959241) 8.1.340.1

Comment

The Update Rollups are cumulative, so it's not necessary to install them sequentially. However if you plan to install SP2 or SP3 then it's not necessary to install any update rollups - the service packs are also cumulative. That guide does look pretty well written, I'd go straight to SP2 to be honest although there is a KB for installing SP3 on SBS as well.

The last SBS 2008 install I did jumped straight to update rollup 7 via WSUS which was what made me suspect it was the issue. Obviously not seeing as you don't have it.
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

OK well back with an update. I ran two backups through last night just to be sure and today I have installed Exchange SP2. I used the MS SBS SP2 installation tool and followed the guide linked to below. The install went well and took exactly 30 mins.

The first time I ran the installer it detected that a previous installation required a reboot and it could not continue until I had done this. One reboot and 10 mins later it was off and running and completed in due course. All parts succeeded, immediately afterwards I connected to OWA and pinged some mails to and from my gmail account to check mail delivery.

I used my test machine with Outlook 2007 SP2 and remoted to a users machine running the same. So far there have been no authentication popups on either Outlook instance. I'm not claiming victory quite yet, give it a few days before that but I am quietly optimistic

I'll post up again after a few days or so to update on progress.

Thanks,
              Dan
              Last edited by mwahahaha; 14th July 2010, 16:07.

Comment

Looks promising, keep us posted.
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Well so far so good, no calls from users and my test Outlook account on the old SBS2003 server (Now demoted and Exchange removed) has been behaving as far as this issue goes.

Hopefully issue resolved

Thanks very much for your help Cruachan and I hope others find this useful in the future.

Comment

Thanks for letting us know its resolved.
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                    X