Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File migration from old disk inserted into server

Hi there,

I have inserted the SATA drive off our old server into our new server. I am now having trouble copying files due to changed security/SID...

What is the best method to copy data off the old disk onto disk on the new server.

Do you have to take ownership of the new folder one by one or is there a tool that facilitates this.

Even logging into the new server as admin doesn't overide the broken secuirty links and whatnot off the old disk, so what is the best way to Xfer ALL the data to the new disk?

Thanks

Re: File migration from old disk inserted into server

You can take ownership of the whole drive and tick the box to apply to subfolders and files
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

By describing it as "the SATA drive", I would infer that it didn't have RAID. Hopefully the new server does?
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

The system drives are RAID1 MIRRORED but the file shares are SATA.

I have one 1 TB drive for the system and have added the old data drive and want to copy files over to new drive, but some have security issues becuase it came from another server with different SID, security groups etc...

Comment

IMHO RAIDing the data is more important than the OS -- you can always reinstall that, but you cannot replace lost or damaged business information
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Hezi_Barecket View Post
            The system drives are RAID1 MIRRORED but the file shares are SATA.

I have one 1 TB drive for the system and have added the old data drive and want to copy files over to new drive, but some have security issues becuase it came from another server with different SID, security groups etc...
            have you tried the suggestion to apply permissions at the root of te drive and selected "apply permissions to child folders/files" ?

You can do similar by taking ownership.
            then use robocopy to do a bulk file copy.

there's also a trick regarding whether permissions are retained or not dependent on whether you copy, or move, and whether or not it's on the same volume. I don't fully recall this however sorry :/
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I tried the take ownership trick and I still got weird permission error, and also got permission errors on the Robocopy I kicked off..

The main bulk of the files came across, but me thinks those errors relate to dodgy files like Recycle Bin ephemera...

Comment

Originally posted by Hezi_Barecket
                I tried the take ownership trick and I still got weird permission error,
                Would you care to share the weird permission error with us, preferably a screen shot in JPG format. Thanks.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X