Sbs03 ftp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sbs03 ftp

Hello! I'm new here, but hoping I can get some help.

Im trying to create an FTP in SBS03 in IIS.

I originally downloaded a free FTP server, and could not connect to it at all, i did some research and found that SBS03 has a built in FTP that can be installed, so i decided to use that.

I followed the instructions on the page, going through add/remove programs > Windows Components > etc.. to install the FTP. I then greated a group called FTP Administrators, and created a user account (i dont want to allow anonymous access so i disabled that in the FTP properties) for logging in, and made that user a member of FTP Administrators, the account is not a member of any other group.

So then i navigated to the folder to be used for the FTP (i changed it in the FTP properties to a folder other than the inetpub folder), and in the security properties for that folder, i added FTP Administrators with full access.

When im on the local network, the connection works perfectly fine, but using WAN, it wont connect. I'm using CuteFTP to connect, and heres what i get:

STATUS:> [7/6/2010 12:38:39 PM] Socket connected. Waiting for welcome message...
    ERROR:> [7/6/2010 12:39:00 PM] Can't read from control socket. Socket error = #10054.

It hangs on the first line for about 10-15 seconds, then the second one pops up. I'm not sure why this is happening, i've played with everything i can.

Ive even tried connecting through VPN, than trying to connect with CuteFTP on the local, and remote IP addresses and have gotten the exact same error, just faster..

My SBS is setup with 2 NIC's, one connects directly to the internet, the other connects to a Netgear router, setup to allow port 21, with DCHP turned off so it works like a switch. Windows firewall is off, cant even access it because RRAS is on. Would the problem be in the Remote Access Policies?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I'm trying to get this up as soon as i can. I am running a business, and have created a folder within my domain name so that my brother can access it as a folder for his website in another state.

Re: Sbs03 ftp

Keep in mind that as SBS is a DC, there are no local accounts. Therefore any FTP users are also domain user accounts.

I strongly recommend against setting up FTP on your SBS server.

If necessary, install Linux on an old PC.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Yes, i totally understand this, same with websites, its not recommended to host a website on an SBS box. In my current situation, this is what im forced to do, probably for another 6 months to a year.

Ive taken all possible security precautions, including not using the server to store any critical information. Its all public information, i dont mind anybody taking any information off of the server.

The main reason for doing it with SBS03 is that i know the system (for the most part) and i can set it up with email and everything. Its working quite well so far, and i've been working on learning Linux on my laptop, but i constantly crash the entire OS haha, so im getting there!

The user account i created is an Active Directory user account. Is there a way to set up the FTP so that WAN users can get on and use it? I tried using a 3rd party FTP server, but nobody could connect, LAN or WAN.

Comment

Yes. Forward the relevant port to it through your router, ensure the port is open in the firewall and ensure that either anonymous access is enabled, or the necessary people have the login details.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          Yes. Forward the relevant port to it through your router, ensure the port is open in the firewall and ensure that either anonymous access is enabled, or the necessary people have the login details.
          All that is already done, the router settings have port 21 set to forward to the server, windows firewall on the SBS03 box is off, and currently there's only 1 user account. The only way i know to link the user accounts to the FTP is by creating a group for them, adding that group to the user account, and adding that group to the folder that the FTP takes them too. Is there another way, or am i missing something?

Comment

How can you say that the server has no confidential information on it? it is a DC.

Anyway, this is a common problem. Chances are if you telnet to port 21 from the outside world (telnet myserver.mydomain.co.uk 21), then it will respond as if it is open, but you can get to the server.

This is because a lot of routers actually use port 21 for themselves, so even if you open a port, it wont let it through.

What router do you have? Can you change the FTP port on your router (or untick it) to something else and then try it again?

Failing that, change FTP port on your FTP site as a test and change your port forwarding rule on your router.

It will more than likely by the first suggestion though, Draytek is a good example of router make that suffers with this problem.

Do you have other port forwarding rules that are working ok?

Ste
            Steven Roberts
            IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

IIRC you open port 21 for the connection but you also need to open 22 for the data. In any case, put another box in the DMZ and install the FTP server on that - NOT on your SBS
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I agree - for the sake of £30 to buy a cheap second hand computer off Ebay and a day spent learning enough Linux to get by, it's just not worth opening up holes on your SBS server.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                X