Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghost Admin Account - Outlook Incoherent - OWA Consistant

Hello,

I recently installed SBS 2003 for a colleague and all seemed to go well.

Fixed the basic setup and after adding a few basic users and preparing their
    accounts I decided to do the usual security measure of renaming the
    Adminstrator account. This went well and I then logged on with this new
    account.

No problems here but when I went to see the mail using Outlook 2003 I found
    I had now '2' mailboxes, one ghosting the other.
    ie. MB1 = admin-newname and MB2 = Administrator.

This Adminstrator user no longer exists in AD and I cannot find a reference of
    it, other than the template.
    How can I dereference this mailbox ?

NB :
    Strangely enough this does NOT appear using the admin account in OWA.
    Strangely enough this does NOT appear using the a delegated admin account in Outlook
    Only in the original renamed Administrator account.

2 brief auxillary questions :

1. Apart from this would anyone like to comment on appropriate techniques for
    redirecting Email to Public Folders ?

Are there other efficient methods apart from CDO sink scripts such as Siegfried
    Weber's work (CDOLive ) ? [Post - Note question resolved here]

2. Excluding GPO policies and such, haas anyone founf any other particular
    reasons for making (or not) user accounts members of the /My Business/ AD OU.

Thank you for the support.

Re: Ghost Admin Account - Outlook Incoherent - OWA Consistant

I understand your post as follows; You created a new administrator account and mailbox, deleted the old admin, but not the mailbox. You now have an orphaned mailbox.
    If that is so, then use ESM to run the Mailbox Cleanup Agent. Then you can either purge the old mailbox or rejoin it to any user who has no mailbox defined.

Other issues raised:

You could mail-enable any Public Folders and then in ADUC redirect mail from a user to the mail enabled public folder.

Don't move computers or users out of the Mybusiness OU as both group policies are applied here as well as making computers appear available for the /connectcomputer wizard and control via RWW
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Re: Ghost Admin Account - Outlook Incoherent - OWA Consistant

My apologies for this belated reply.
      I had given up hope and did not receive a warning message on your proposal

Originally posted by teiger
      I understand your post as follows; You created a new administrator account and mailbox, deleted the old admin, but not the mailbox. You now have an orphaned mailbox.
      If that is so, then use ESM to run the Mailbox Cleanup Agent. Then you can either purge the old mailbox or rejoin it to any user who has no mailbox defined.

Other issues raised:

You could mail-enable any Public Folders and then in ADUC redirect mail from a user to the mail enabled public folder.

Don't move computers or users out of the Mybusiness OU as both group policies are applied here as well as making computers appear available for the /connectcomputer wizard and control via RWW
      ... 'deleted account', this is not exactly the case.
      The original Administrator account was only renamed and still exists under the new name.
      Therefore it is not an orphan I suppose. I thourght I had purged it but I will return to the server soon (day or two) - I limited the remote access while studying the router, Remote desk is disactivated at present, and I can only do a VPN connection through the OWA interface.

Thanks for considering the other two questions.
      I tried this : 'mail-enable any Public Folders and then in ADUC redirect mail from a user to the mail enabled public folder.'
      Forwarding mail disturbs the original message.
      You are talking about the 'forward to' option, I suppose
      Apart from this surprisingly I received an error while trying it out.
      Failed delivery (downloaded but failed to send to mailbox)
      I will investigate.

The point I was hoping to raise, something discused elsewhere with critiscm, is that for POP3 accounts, the MsPOP3 connector does not seem to show Public Folders as a possible location for depositing the mail.

Should you, or anyone know of a registry solution etc I would like to be informed.
      It seems that there are several other weaknesses in this connector compared to the current third party ones. Any comments here ?

Your last comment interested me.
      Do you have any other information pertaining to this argument ?

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
      X