Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd DNS server not showing in client IPCONFIG...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd DNS server not showing in client IPCONFIG...

OK, I got my 2nd DNS server up and running (windows 2003 R2) and everything is replicating between the two servers just fine. No errors in DNS log, no replication errors and any change I make in DNS #1 replicates over to DNS #2 very quickly.

I then put a client on the test network, took down the SBS network and guess what....no DNS. I cannot ping anything on the network or internet, so no forwarders showing up either. I guess that is to be expected.

If I do an IPCONFIG on the client only the SBS server shows up and not the 2nd DNS server.

If I fire up the SBS server and go to my network settings the first DNS server is set as the SBS (10.0.0.2) while the 2nd DNS server is the 2nd DNS set (10.0.0.3). So everything I know from the last 10 years of working with Server 2003 looks fine!

EDIT: I did note that on the SBS when I do an IPCONFIG I see both DNS servers listed...why is a client only seeing the primary?

What could be my issue!?!?
    Last edited by carboncow; 29th June 2010, 20:31.

Re: 2nd DNS server not showing in client IPCONFIG...

Does the client have a static ip address? If so, did you add the second DNS server to it?

Is the client using DHCP? If so, did you add the second DNS server to your DHCP scope?

Comment

joeqwerty is spot on here I think.

If a client does not show the dns2 server, it's either because it hasn't been configured specifically, or it hasn't been added to the dhcp scope
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

OK, I found my own answer while poking around DHCP. Under Scope Options I added the 2nd DNS server to the 006 DNS Servers config.

Although I'm sure a few of you will say "duh" I do not recall ever doing this with Server 2000 or Server 2003...I think the DNS/AD install wizard must have solved this in the past.

Comment

Thanks guys...looks like you were posting while i was typing.

So the 2nd DNS must always be added to the DHCP scope?!? I'm not sure why I don't recall this! To much coffee I suspect...

Comment

yea, you always need to add however many DNS Servesr, and DNS Suffixes, you require, to the dhcp scope
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

So now I will ask the question I always ask in this situation.
              So you have a Secondary DNS. I presume you need it for when your Primary DNS (ie the SBS server) is down. What does the secondary DNS give you?
              If your SBS is down, concentrate all your efforts on getting it back up, so that you will have Exchange, Home Directories, Sharepoint etc.
              Without those, the workstations aren't going to be doing much work, are they?
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
              X