No announcement yet.

Unified messaging Role with SBS 2008

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unified messaging Role with SBS 2008

Hello everyone,

Is it possible to use the Exchange 2007 unified messaging role with SBS 2008?

Re: Unified messaging Role with SBS 2008

Amazing what happens when you try searching for something on Google...

Or didn't you try that

Maybe that will answer your question for you.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Yes! I did Google for it and what I found is that Microsoft does not recommend it. However, they haven't said if I could or not. I always do some research before I ask on any forum. But, sometimes I like to confirm on some forum like this on. I always like this forum in particular and I always had great respect for M. Petri.

But the way you answer me...well!

I just cut and paste the subject title into google and the first 3 results showed me all the answers to your questions.

You can, but its not recommened, and its not supported by MS, therefore, if you must ask, I do not recommend you do it.

BTW, 2 mins ago I had no idea about this at all, and then google educated me, it could of done the same for you.

If in asking for more details about a problem I seem to be rude, think about it this way, If I did not have to ask, I would not of been forced to be rude.

Please assume anything and everything I say to be wrong unless I have provided links and evidence, or you have done the same.
        IE: you blow your server up following my advice, not my bad

A OP is bad if I can go to and answer the question by pressing 4 buttons. "Ctrl +c, Ctrl +v".

Folks, lets keep it professional here...
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Professionally - MS does not support it. That doesn't mean it doesn't work, as we know.
            Now some unsupported scenarios are worth taking the risk, if you weigh up the advantages/disadvantages. (One example I can think of is, I installed Outlook on the server to solve a particular problem. Not a supported scenario and there is an inherant risk. However it solved my spefic problem, and was reversible in that I could uninstall Outlook and return to a supported condition)
            In the case of UM with Exchange, I definitely would NOT recommend you go there. If you have a problem, then PSS cannot support you (and you always want them to be able to support you - the SBS guys IMHO are the best support engineers that Microsoft has!). Nor can you easily remove the UM role and return to a supportable position.
            There was hope for a while, that whilst MS produced Response Point (a VoIP solution) that they would think about including it and UM in SBS next, however Response Point has since been discontinued.......

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.