Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! in Reactivating a Dynamic Disk in SBS 2003 server

Hi,
    I am new to this forum and my Name is Ramakrishnan Padmanaban and from India. I am working as a Systems Engineer.

In my work place we are using a SBS 2003 based server, following are the disk details,

Disk1. 80GB SATA HDD for Operating System & Exchange Server

Disk2. 80GB IDE HDD for Data

Disk3. 500GB SATA HDD for Data

in the above disks Disk1 and Disk2 are configured as Basic Disks, the Disk3 500GB SATA Disk is configured as Dynamic Disk.

Suddenly the Disk3 is vanished from Windows Explorer, when accessed using Disk Management Console it is showing as Offline, when i tried to reactivate it nothing happening. After sometime it is not appearing in Disk Management console also.

It happened twice in the past few weeks.

Kindly provide me a solution to reactivate the Disk.

Also help in converting that into a Basic disk without losing the Data stored.

Thanks in Advance,

Regards,
    Ramki

Re: Help! in Reactivating a Dynamic Disk in SBS 2003 server

How did you reactivate it on previous occasions? Do the same again.

There is only one official way to convert Dynamic to Basic -- delete volumes, convert and re-create partitions. Some 3rd party tools will do it non-destructively, but have good backups first.

You should also check WHY it is disappearing -- could well be the symptom of drive failure. IMHO, given the low cost of drives, once you get your data back, replace the drive completely.

Separately - do you have RAID of any form (well, not RAID0, of course, but 1 or 5)? If not, you are at severe risk of losing everything if there is a major crash.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the reply Ossian,

In the previous occasion, i got the faulty HDD replaced with a new one from company warranty,after that i reconfigured the Disk and loaded all the datas from Backup. It worked for one month without any issues.

Previously it occurred within a day, so data loss is very much less.

Once again Thanks for the idea about RAID, we are seriously planning for that now.

~
      Ramki

Comment

Sorry Ossian,

is it possible for you to suggest any 3rd Party tools, which you have mentioned about.

Thanks

Comment

You could try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913964 (Ignore the title, see the workaround) but I would highly recommend making sure you have a few backups of the data before you do anything to that computer.

If you are going to replace the drive, can you not just take a image of the drive, replace disk and reload?

Wofen
          Good to be back....

Comment

Originally posted by ramkivp View Post
            is it possible for you to suggest any 3rd Party tools, which you have mentioned about.
            can
            http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...&meta=&aq=f&oq=
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for Ideas from Wofen as well as Ossian

Comment

If you have had an earlier disk fail, and be replaced by the vendor, and now you've had another disk fail, you should also take a close look at the actual drive controller, whether it's a RAID controller or otherwise.
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

First of all thanks for your suggestions Tehcamel. I checked using another SATA HDD, with that also i am having same issue. I will check with the Drive Controller. as well as the previous HDD is producing S.M.A.R.T error.

Thanks for all those who replied and gave suggestions.
                  Regards,
                  Ramki

Comment

Are you using the on-board Intel SATA controller by any chance? I have heard of several problems with this type of configuration. Check for new drivers, or even better, check about using a SATA RAID controller.
                    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                    http://www.wintra.co.il/
                    sigpic
                    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                    X