15GB IIS log Files?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15GB IIS log Files?

Hello, I am sure this is already on the net, but after 90 mins of googling and not getting anywhere, I am just going to bow down and ask.

The IIS log files stored at C:\inetpub\logs\logfiles\W3SVC\Raw####.ibl Can it be deleted?

One of our customers has started to grow and grow and is now upto 15GB, and according to MS the IIS log files are in the windows directory.

PS: if anyone has any good sites for IIS 7, can I grab the links? The MS site for IIS 7 seems to be a joke with lots of missing infomation.

Thanks, and sorry for the simple question, but sometimes those take the most of my time.

Wofen
    Good to be back....

Re: 15GB IIS log Files?

As a Note, I have changed the Max Log file size to be 1 GB,and restarted IISadmin, but the log file size is not srinking, and still growing.

While I am 90% sure that I could delete the log files with no problem (after stopping the IIS admin service), last time I deleted a log file without checking I killed Exchange :P

Wofen
    Last edited by Wofen; 28th June 2010, 01:01.
    Good to be back....

Comment

IIS log files can be safely deleted. Unlike Exchange Server and SQL Server, IIS log files are not used for recovery.

Comment

Thanks Joeqwerty. I still have yet to find anywhere on the MS site that says that.

Thanks again.

Wofen
        Good to be back....

Comment

short answer, yes.

in one of my jobs, our iis logs were cycled on a daily basis, and then we ran a script when the drives started getting too full. THe script would archive anything older than 14 days off to a security logging server, that had more space.

this met our security requirements, as well as gave us opportunity for problem managment as we had logs that went back over 3 months.

(We also had a 6 month script for the logging server, to delete anything more than 6 months)
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X