Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I uninstall Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 from a DC running W2K8 SBS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I uninstall Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 from a DC running W2K8 SBS?

By default, when we install W2K8 SBS the setup installs Windows SharePoint Services 3.0. How can I uninstall it?

I want to install SharePoint Foundation 2010.

Thanks in advance!

Re: How can I uninstall Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 from a DC running W2K8 SBS?

Not sure about removing WSS, but I would advise against installing additional software on your SBS server except where absolutely necessary; install it on a separate server.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Re: How can I uninstall Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 from a DC running W2K8 SBS?

Just to 2nd what Gforce has said, it is not recommened to put SBS and Sharepoint Foundation 2010 on the same box. (To Clarafy, MS has stated that its not good to install these both on the same server)
      http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/e...2-742330c6fe30

It is possible, but really should not be considered unless there is no possibilty to get a 2nd server for it.

Here is a link on how to remove WSS, 2nd Post.
      http://forums.techarena.in/small-bus...ver/987122.htm

Wofen
      Last edited by Wofen; 28th June 2010, 03:03.
      Good to be back....

Comment

Originally posted by Wofen View Post
        Just to 2nd what Gforce has said, it is not recommened to put SBS and Sharepoint Foundation 2010 on the same box.
        http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/e...2-742330c6fe30
        Not just specific to SharePoint either - I avoid installing anything on an SBS server other than what is necessary, such as antivirus and backup software.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I agree as well. Having WSS installed on the SBS box also then means IIS is installed, which exposes the server. However, some Companies don't have the luxury of two servers, so I suppose it can't sometimes be helped. I have run WSS before on a DC but ensured I locked it down as much as I could and enhanced the security logs to allow more analysis.

Comment

Since you have Exchange, presumably with OWA, IIS is already there, so security is already compromised.

SBS 2003 will let you uninstall sharepoint without issues -- I cannot speak for 2008, but I assume running the setup and removing it will do it gracefullt
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

SBS 2008 introduces the possibility of virtualising the server and also a second server in Premium edition. The second server could be perfect for installing the Sharepoint Server - without uninstalling WSS.
              Just a minute! What are you after in MOSS (Sharepoint Server) that you don't get in WSS - assuming you are not going to setup a MOSS farm, of course?
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thank u very much!

Comment

Working...
                X