Change IP of SBS2008 Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change IP of SBS2008 Server

Hello Petri Forum agian, long time no see. I have a server with sbs2008 that is connected to a public ip. Now the server will be in office to reduce cost with the 100mbit line, can i just change the ip of the server and everything will work fine ? i must add that it's replicating to a Windows server 2003.

Regards
    Kevin Guerreiro

Re: Change IP of SBS2008 Server

Can you provide more information with regards to the services being used on the server? Do people connect to the Companyweb remotely? Does software etc mapping to the computer use a name as oppose to the IP? How about DNS setup?

Comment

Hey Virtual, the sbs2008 is set as Mail server Exchange 2007 and SQL Server, and is DC, nobody accesses this server except me for maintainance. And there is a replication to a Windows Server 2003 that is used for TS of the company , where is installed all of the software needed.DNS is setup in both machines. I think if i change the ip of the machine, dns records will update automatic. If i change the ip adress will exchange server stop working?

Comment

Not sure in 2008, but in 2003 there is a Wizard that will handle all of it
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

There isn't a specific wizard for changing the IP as there was in 2003, I think it's the Connect to the Internet Wizard you need to run now.

As always with SBS DO NOT change anything manually if there is a wizard for it. That way madness lies.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

The main difference between SBS 2003 and SBS 2008 - in infrastructure , is that the firewall is not on the SBS 2008. So if your gateway has same internal IP address you don't have to touch the SBS configuration.

Comment

Not completely sure of what you are trying to do in your setup. but changing the IP can be handled afterwards by the "Fix my Network Wizard" which has about 200 different tests it performs. Check afterwards that DNS and DHCP at least have been corrected.
              Last edited by teiger; 23rd June 2010, 14:30. Reason: Needed a big P!
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Kevin, as I understand it, you are currently using a public IP range on your network and want to move to a private range. Is that correct?
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Scuba.Steve.za View Post
                  The main difference between SBS 2003 and SBS 2008 - in infrastructure , is that the firewall is not on the SBS 2008. So if your gateway has same internal IP address you don't have to touch the SBS configuration.
                  Also need to add - If you are changing your ISP you might need to run the CIW to configure the new DNS from the ISP

Comment

Sorry guys for only replying now, when on vacation Tanks for the replys. as geforce asks, that is correct, i have the servers on a datacenter with public ip, and will changing it to a private network on the companys headquarters.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                    X