Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSUS Database

Hi all

This is my own network, so SBS2008 Std, 4 nodes, 1 user.

In SBS spirit I have selected "All Products" and "All classfications" etc...

Damn thing wants to download 50GB and still climbing. I have manually stopped the WSUS Service becuase my ISP will utterly rape me with that amount, plus its a shared connectin and not fair to other users.

So:

1. Why is it wanting to DL so much? The enviroment is so small and easy - SBS2008, Win 7 x 2 + Win XP x1. All Office 2007 - thats about it.

2. Can I download the (whole) database elsewhere and "copy" it to my server, saving the time and bandwidth problems? Then have it delete most of the updates that are superseded or not applicable.

Thanks

Re: WSUS Database

I would only select products and classifications that are needed in your environment.

Comment

Well that is what I would do for a non-SBS environment.

However apparently in order for the Update Serivces part to work in the SBS Console, you have to configure it with some minimum requirements - one of which is "All Products".

WSUS is only then supposed to download what is relevant anyway.

But...

Apparently its not working like that right now

Comment

Definitely only select to download what you need. E.g WSUS will download updates for Windows 2000 family, Office, SQL Server, ISA Server, Visual Studio, x86 and x64 versions of Server 2003, Exchange etc etc etc. Always a good idea to exclude the WSUS download directory from your backup too, I've forgotten that more than once.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I hear what you are saying, I really do - and that is what I'll do for the time being. But just a quick google search shows that "All Products" is what should be selected as default and it should NOT download everything...

See

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/arch...-sbs-2008.aspx

http://uksbsguy.com/blogs/doverton/a...-upset-it.aspx

etc

Comment

On top of that, I just selected the bare essentials, did a full sync, and it still wants over 50GB's worth of files ???

Comment

Something very wrong there!
              Have you limited the languages you are downloading?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yeah, English Only.

Having read bits and pieces from the net I tried using bitsadmin to clear the queue, but that kept on reporting there was no jobs even though I was watching the downloaded stat increase by the second.

Just uninstalled WSUS completely, deleted the WSUS folder, starting again.

Will let you know if it works!

Comment

Do you know anyone who has WSUS already running? You can copy their already downloaded files and put them in the appropriate location on your server. Then manually run a Sync and the database will be updated with the new files you have just copied across.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

That is exactly what I was asking - and yes I do, several of my clients use WSUS.

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by hongman View Post
                      I hear what you are saying, I really do - and that is what I'll do for the time being. But just a quick google search shows that "All Products" is what should be selected as default and it should NOT download everything...

See

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/arch...-sbs-2008.aspx

http://uksbsguy.com/blogs/doverton/a...-upset-it.aspx

etc

I don't mean to be rude here but if all products is selected that means all updates will be downloaded. You have to remember that the WSUS even though it is installed in an SBS environment it will still download only what you request. Besides the links provide MS best practice.

Comment

Isnt there some confusion here between CHECKING for updates in all categories and products and DOWNLOADING approved updates?
                        Check the "Update Files and Languages" option and ensure "download update files to this server only when updates are approved" is ticked
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I sorted it now by reinstalling, and checking exact updates only.

But yes my understanding was with ALL PRODUCTS checked, it would still only download approved updates.

Comment

Correct -- it will check for updates for all products but only download approved updates. Of course, if you approve everything, it will download everything
                            Tom Jones
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

Comment

Aye, my problem was it tried downloading a shed load of updates even without me approving them.

Still sorted now.

SBS Console doesnt read the Updates part properly but I dont really care lol

Comment

Working...
                              X