Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

questions about where to point DNS servers...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about where to point DNS servers...

I've read some conflicting "stuff". I had a few replication errors on the 2nd AD/DNS server I installed and several of the bulletins I read said to point each search to "other" DNS server as the first in the list.

Since then I've removed the 2nd AD/DC and reinstalled (DCPROMO) them and don't have the errors but I am confused on what the proper procedure is for pointing the first DNS server in the list...

So my question is:

In a two server environment with one being a SBS2008 should the DNS entries point to themselves first...or the other machine...and why.

Thanks.

Re: questions about where to point DNS servers...

Generally accepted practice is for a DC to have itself (even as 127.0.0.1) as the first DNS and the other DC as the second. If you have multiple sites, set a DC in the main site as a third DNS server (Advanced properties)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks, that is what I always understood that a DNS should point to itself but was unsure why under certain circumstances the MS bulletin was saying otherwise.

Comment

Can you give a reference?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Regretably no. Since I fixed the issue I cleared out the DNS log but I seem to recall it was EVENT_ID 4004. I quick look and I couldn't find the page again but I did the search at home, so I should have that page in my history. It had several work arounds and one mentioned DNS pointing to the other machine and the examples they gave had three DNS servers.

If I find it I will post. Obviously this was of interest to me as it went against all that I've read before.

Comment

actually I just found the reference via another forum mentioning it, here is what it says with the reference at the end. It states it was from a MS newsgroup. So it tells me I wasn't crazy on what I read but still didn't get original MS link:

As per Microsoft: "The DNS Server service uses Active Directory to store DNS data, and it encountered a Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) error while querying the directory. This error could be caused by either a high load on the domain controller or the failure of other domain controller services". See MSW2KDB for more information.

From a newsgroup post: "If you have 2 DC/DNS servers, to avoid this error, make sure you have the following under IP properties:
            DC1:
            First DNS address points to DC2.
            Second DNS address points to itself.
            DC2:
            First DNS address points to DC1.
            Second DNS address points to itself".

From a newsgroup post: "This can be caused if you have a single DC or two DCs and they point to themselves as the first entry in the DNS list in IP properties and the zone is AD Integrated. Reason could be that the DC has many services running on it (SQL, Exchange, etc.) or is a slower machine, and when the Netlogon service tries to register into the zone at boot time, AD is not quite initialized yet and so you get the error. You can either ignore it or change the zone to a Primary, or if you have multiple DCs, change the first entry to the partner and the second to itself".

FROM HERE: http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?e...ce=DNS&phase=1

Comment

If the AD is not initialised in time for the DNS, since SBS always has at least an Exchange server on it, then it sounds like you have an underpowered machine - and are likely to soon have more problems than just DNS resolution.
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I doubt it's underpowered at a Xenon Quad 3.8ghz with 8Gb of Ram. Dell 2850

I have not seen the error in 24 hours, so I'm not sure what the resolution was.

Comment

Working...
                X