Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Branch Office Server

Hi Guys,

We have SBS 2008 premium Server. Company just buy the new office and wants to operate as branch office. We have 2 server licence for 2008 which we can use to setup new 2008 server at branch office. I know it is possible but my question is how to set this whole scenario. What hardware do i need at both the places? Right now I have Cisco 800 series router for broadband and we have watchguard edge e55 firebox.

Please guys I need your help on this.

Thanks in advance

Vikram

Re: Branch Office Server

first step would be to speak to your internet provider and establish the best connection between the two sites - whether you want a direct channel that doesn't go via the internet, or you just want an internet connection and to use a VPN tunnel.

Without knowin more about your scenario, I would plan to implement the following:
    ADSL2+ (Annex M) - this is what it's called in australia - max thruput of 24Mb down and 2Mb up (iirc) at both sites, using a Cisco 877 router.
    I would setup inbound VPN Access on the head office location, and a permanent vpn route to the head office on the rmote router.
    Ensure that only traffic for the corp network goes over the vpn, and internet traffic goes over the internet as expected.

setup a single 2008 R2 server, as a Read Only Domain controller, at the remote office. You may also need to ensuire you setup appropriate data shares at the remote office.

Y?ou haven't told me about your exchange environment, so I don't know..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks mate for your reply.... Let me tell you more about my current setup I have SBS 2008 premium with MS exchange, we have 5 valid IPs and Cisco 877 router connected to watchguard edge 55e firebox. And company is planning to setup a new server in our newly acquired branch office and want to use DFS replication for data. They are going to have some users working there as well. they want them to login there and access the shared folders we have at our main office (really hope i have explained you what I mean to say). I know that it is possible even Microsoft says it is possible in one of there articles but I donít know how to setup and what hardware do I need to achieve all this. I really appreciate your help if you can guide me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

VIk

Comment

another router and internet connectio nfor your new office. Exactly what sort, depends on the internet connection etc. I've found Cisco 877s to be pretty good for small offices.

A new server -the specs depend, but I'd be looking at dual cpu, 8GB ram, a group of maybe 4x500GB drives in a RAID5 volume, dependent on your space requirements

A backup medium of some sort, dependant on your requirements.

Install the OS, configure it as a domain controller (or read-only domain controller, dependent) - this will ensure that even if the vpn is down, users can still log on and access local resources.

The Cisco 877 router can act as a site-to-site vpn client with another cisco route,r I just don't know how it will go with the other edge deviced you specified
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks mate for you reply once again.... Yes i do have HP g6 with 8 GB Ram and 1.2 TB HDD with Raid 5. We are having business broadband of 8 MB link with vaild IP. I can arrange the cisco routers ... so what would be steps to create site - to - site VPN do i have to follow...

Thanks in advance

VIk

Comment

couldn't tell you that for sure sorry :/

some of the cisco guys would be better helping you.. I just know it can be done..

Comment

Working...
            X