Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't Decide. Clean SBS 2008 install or Migrate from 2003?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Decide. Clean SBS 2008 install or Migrate from 2003?

I have a SBS 2003 server that will be replaced with a SBS 2008 box. There are about 24 users/machines on this network. They use exchange and fax services along with RWW for remote logins. They are not utilizing the company web or any other features.

I am wondering if I should use the migration path or start from scratch and just save PST files for mail and re- create the users. What will this do when a user tries to logon to the new server? Will there local profile (desktop and such) be different?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Re: Can't Decide. Clean SBS 2008 install or Migrate from 2003?

if you build a new server, with a new domain, they will most certainly have new profiles.
    Additionally, any hard work you've done customising your current environment will need to be redone.

have a look at Swing migration, and see if this may assist you
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks TehCamel! I feared that would be the response. I looked at the site that you suggested and the ebook seems like a good idea for a fist time migrator.

Thanks Again!

Comment

No need to "fear" - just copy your setup to a virtual environment and do two or three practices according to the method until you feel comfortable with it.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
        X