Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have two 2003 SBS in same network

Hi all,
    I want to have two (2) identical 2003 SBS as domain controllers, database servers, file servers, application server and exchange servers in the same network for security reasons...
    I try to find the best way to do this (cluster or something else) because I have a new server and an old server.
    The primary is the old server and if for some reason the old server brake down I want in a short time to have the new server up and running without loosing any data (almost any)......

I have one domain with 5 OUs.

Is this possible somehow..... I am confused about this.......
    How can I send the data from the first server to the second one once every 1-2 hours (databases, files, mails, settings, everything)?????

Thank you in advance!

Re: Have two 2003 SBS in same network

I really do not think SBS is designed for that
    You could have an additional DC (regular server 2003) but you cannot have two SBS boxes in the same domain
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

Thank you for the quick reply!

I thought so.....
      Are there any good way to have a replicator server (2003 SBS) waiting(have it outside the network-cable off) and with some other way have the daily backup, maybe to an external disk and when the old server crash then I restore the backup to the new server and plug it to the network? Can I do that?

What kind of back up and how (kindly asking) I have to take in order to do that?

Regards

Comment

Since its SBS I assume you are allowed some downtime occasionally?

How about, in addition to the usual backups of data, mailboxes etc, just do an image of the OS partition and use one of the many "bare metal" recovery products to restore it to new HW if the original fails?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It could be a solution.... but I really would like an automated way.... cause I am not in the servers place all the time(I am in a nearby city).....

Thank you any way Ossian for your help!
          Regards

Comment

You could do this, assuming your live SBS box and secondary SBS box are identical hardware:

Setup a VLAN with the SBS box and all the PCs on one VLAN. On that VLAN there is also a PC with a big hard disk to carry the clone of the live SBS box. I'll call that PC "CloneBackup". CloneBackup needs a fixed IP address.

On a second VLAN there is the CloneBackup PC and the secondary SBS box.

That way, the two SBS boxes cannot see each other, and the secondary SBS box will not "pollute" the LAN (in terms of DHCP, computername, IP address, etc, because it will be identical in all respects).

Using Acronis, RDisk, PartitionMagic or something like that, automate a clone of the live SBS box, (i.e. make a disk image as Ossian says) every x hours, onto a file/folder located in a share on the CloneBackup PC. Check that the cloning software you use can also be restored onto the secondary SBS box in an automated way, perhaps by command line or you could use AutoIt to automate the restore. (I certainly know that Acronis can do the original clone in an automated way.)

So, now you have a way to separate the two SBS boxes, and yet you can automate a clone from the live one to an intermediate PC named CloneBackup and from there restore it every x hours onto the secondary SBS box.

Even though the secondary SBS box is a clone, beware of licensing.

In the event of a disaster, someone in that city office can unplug both SBS boxes and plug the secondary one into the original port of the originally live (but now dead) SBS socket on the switch.

I think this is a bit convoluted but tries to answer your question as it stands, (and is not a step-by-step guide, it is an intro into the idea of using a VLAN and an intermediate PC), so maybe it would be better to automate a clone onto a USB disk and then train someone to do a manual restore of the cloned partition? You could visit every 3 months to go through a Disaster Recovery procedure with the trained person, (to keep their knowledge fresh otherwise they'll forget how to do it), who only has to know how to:

1) do a restore of the clone and
            2) plug in the backup SBS box.

That way, there's no need for a VLAN or CloneBackup PC. I suggest there are 2 trained people, people who are unlikely to go on holiday at the same time (e.g don't choose the business owner and his wife!)
            Last edited by PaulH; 6th June 2010, 08:31.
            Best wishes,
            PaulH.
            MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Without going into details and having thought right through this, you could probably create a solution through virtualisation. Use some kind of P2V software (Sysinternals has a good one) and take a regular snapshot of the server to (a) VHD(s). Remember that MS does not officially support virtualisation of SBS 2003 (but we know that does NOT mean it doesn't work!) - but it could be an easier disaster recovery scenario or short-term solution.
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I believe that DoubleTake have an SBS edition of their product.

Although if you cannot afford the downtime, I would have to wonder whether SBS is the right product for you. It isn't really designed for high availability.

Simon.
                --
                Simon Butler
                Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

For SBS I think it is called Heroware (DoubleTake in a box) and though the general feeling is that SBS is not a good HA environment, there are some clients who need both.
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

We've got one customer using Doubletake Full Server Failover Manager for DR. They have 2 premises on either side of a road connected by a fibre link and the SBS box replicates to a Server 2003 box across the road. In the event of a disaster you hit the Server 2003 box's big red button and it reboots as the SBS box.

I haven't checked out Doubletake's offerings recently, so this may well have been superceded by the product teiger mentioned.
                    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

You might consider Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery.

It allows you to backup regularly with granular restore of Exchange SQL Files etc... but it also will do a P2V (physical 2 virtual) conversion if your hardware fails.

Basically you would backup to an network location or external harddrive and then in case of hardware failure you can restore to completely different hardware or a virtual pc and be backup and running. The software understands external harddrives and allows for changing to a different removeable drive for the backup desitination. The software also has the ability to ftp to an off site location.

I currently use the desktop version for a few remote users. They backup to an external harddrive, then ftp to an off site location. This way if there laptop gets busted blownup lost etc...I can restore to a new one and ship it out ASAP.

SBS is a tricky beast, so you will want to test but I know that there is a 2010 version specifically for SBS.

Comment

Working...
                      X