No announcement yet.

explain "user shares" to me...

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• explain "user shares" to me...

For the last 10 years I just knew of what SBS would call Public Shares. This is where our company documents are kept and users are assigned permissions on what folders and sub-shares they are permitted to see and/or write to.

Now SBS2008 has this section that is management at the user level called UserShares and creates a UsersShare folder. At first I figured this was a full access folder system for all users to read/write to for tossing items around the network, but it doesn't seem to work that way. Only the user can see their own folder (or an admin) and from what I can tell they cannot delegate other users access levels.

EDIT: I should add for those who have seen this when you go to the USERSHARE folder it has EVERYONE full access but the subfolders created by the the system when a user is created only allow for that user to access.

So what is the purpose of this, especially if one has RedirectedFolders setup!?!? RedirectedFolders would allow for server side backup for personal files (assuming I'm understanding how that works!)

I just need to determine if this adds functionality I need to our operation or if I can solve all my needs with people either storing files on the Public share or in their My Documents (again with RedirectedFolders).
    Last edited by carboncow; 2nd June 2010, 20:10.

Re: explain "user shares" to me...

yea the public folder is for everyone to just dump stuff on. the usershares is for each user. You can also create other folders for groups. like accounting. Create a security group called accounting and add the people that work in accounting to that group. then create a share using the sbs management console called accounting and then add the account group in permissions. Now only the account dept folks can use that folder. Its a nice way to seperate the different departments. You don't want the receptionist checking out balance sheets during his/her lunch break lol.

I understand the need and use of security groups to limit access...but I'm still struggling with the need of user shares. If nobody else can see them what is the purpose? And if the theory is to have important stuff on a server for backup...I understand this but this is already resolved with redirected folders.

Guess where the redirected folders go! Users shares are also sometimes known as home folders - every user created gets a home folder on the server where only he/she has access. The lack of a public or, what was in SBS 2003, company folder is the trend of Microsoft to push users to use Sharepoint as the joint document repository. Hence //Companyweb is the default home page for each user set up - unless you change it!
        Last edited by teiger; 16th June 2010, 23:08. Reason: Too many "fff's"

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Redirected folders go into a default location called FolderRedirection with all the users subfolders within that...there is yet another grouping of sub folders of users within that is the one I don't really understand the redundancy over considering it also sets up a Public folder. Just seems odd.

As far as Sharepoint I'm very much missing the big picture and need to pickup a Sharepoint For Dummies book. I just don't see the usefulness of a web-based document management system where things need uploaded and downloaded to be of any use. Dozens of users and thousands of documents within a dozen different departments still seems best handled (for us) via folders and security permissions even knowing they are not accessible outside the LAN. I'm obviously missing something about Sharepoint...

sharepoint... collaboration
            document versioning, check-in/out so only one person can work on it.
            You don't need to upload/download persay - you can open the document from the site and edit it, and resave it to sharepoint, no need to download and re-upload it.

indexing - you could add a document to many different categories for searchability etc.
            For arguments sake, a document that's about chairlift maintenance at whistler could be tagged with both, where as with a folder structure, you'd need to have the document in either the "chairlift maintenance" folder or the "whistler" folder or the "chairlifts" folder or the "maintenance" folder, or have multiple copies
            If that makes sense ? (I'm not explaining it well...)
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

No I think you did a good job of explaining the benefits but it hasn't been obvious to me yet simply looking at http://companyweb how this works. It appears one needs to be a guru on setup as the "out of the box" doesn't appear very intuitive.

Additionally, how to fit 1000+ documents already in existing department folders has jumped out at me either. Can you recommend a good reference on this? The first 20 things that came up on search didn't help much. I don't think I'm even Savvy enough to ask the right questions on a forum yet!

Additionally, is there some easy way that the backend plugs into existing folder structures of documents...or must existing documents be uploaded/tagged?

This Train Signal SBS 2008 Lab may help you with SharePoint integration.

This SharePoint 2007 Lab will help you with configuring it to make it idiot proof for users.

I personally like SharePoint for the ease of use but I dislike the way it seems to have been setup for initially configuring it. It almost appears as though it has been built by several teams who didn't collaborate when it came to ease of use for configuration.
                Departed: 23rd December 2015