Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrate from Server 2003 (not sbs)

Hi,

Am planning a migration from Server 2003 with Exchange 2003 to SBS2008. There are five users.

Client has one server..I was planning on doing this

1. Raise everything to 2003 native.
    2. Install a pc as a temp 2003 server with Exchange 2007
    3. Promote that temp server to a dc-move mailboxes to it
    4. Rebuild old server as sbs2008 with answer file-migration mode
    5. move mailboxes (all mailboxes are over 3GB) to new sbs2008 server
    6. remove temp dc/exchange server

Just found out the local domain is .com.

Any issue with that? I could do a fresh install but having all 5 users mailboxes over 3GB-one is 6GB exmerge is out of the question.

Thank you

Re: Migrate from Server 2003 (not sbs)

For five users, you would (IMHO) be as well to do a fresh installation -- export mailboxes to PST from the clients and reimport once you're live

That would give you a chance to clean up any issues
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Firstly-Thank you for responding.

All mailboxes are over 2GB- with one being 6gb and another 4GB. Does it make a difference if I export FROM the client as opposed to exmerge?

I guess I could cut them up to get within 2GB..
      Last edited by mrbostn; 28th May 2010, 12:32. Reason: additional info

Comment

No limits on size from Outlook
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I didn't know that....

Thank you.

Cheers!

Comment

Since my above was a very quick post while handling two phone calls, worth elaborating on.
            Exmerge is (AFAIK still) limited to 2GB per PST file, so you handle larger mailboxes by filtering on e.g. date

Outlook PSTs will depend on the version of outlook you are using, but can go to 20 Gb

Esentially the user copies from their mailbox to a PST (perhaps taking the opportunity to clean up old emails and so on, then you create a new mailbox on the new server (giving them their old addresses).

The user can then copy things back from the PST to their new mailbox, again, reorganising as needed
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

They're Outlook 2003.-They're a financial services firm, so they will not clean up much at all. I finally got them to delete their deleted items.

As soon as I begin, I will begin the pst export from the clients, while backing up the file server.

Would you create the new domain on a temp pc prior to installing SBS2008 in order to organize the local profiles?

I know SBS wants a nice fresh network to install into but perhaps creating the new domain on a temp pc-I can do a migration to sbs...

Any thoughts?

Again, thank you for taking the time to answer.
              Scott

Comment

Personally, and this is very much IMHO, I would take a weekend to blow away the old server and start again -- unless you are getting new server hardware. I always find the migration route to fiddly -- it works but introduces the potential for more problems on the way.

If you are worried about the old system, remove the drives and buy new ones -- they should be cheap enough

btw, what are the HW specs -- SBS2008 asks for rather more than 2003
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

I'll take your advice.

Blow away server

Got new drives
                  2 drive mirror for the OS
                  4 drive raid 5 for data

Dell 2800 dual xeon 2.something or another
                  12GB ram.

The office doesn't use SQL. So only email/file storage. Five users.

Comment

Good specs for 5 users
                    Is it worth virtualising the whole experience?, perhaps using (free) HyperV server with the SBS on top of it?
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

I certainly thought about it...as I need to fit blackberry express in their network somehow.

esxi would do wonders.
                      I haven't checked the HCL lately to see if the 2800 is on it. It's probably doable.

Where I lack experience is backing up esxi. Which could be troublesome if something comes up before I figure it out.

Comment

Working...
                      X