Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Word and Excel files "hanging"

Dear all

I have had a problem with my own installation of sbs2008 for a while now, which I have just lived with - but now this has extended to one of my clients which means I have to get it sorted out!

My install is SBS2008 on an ML115 G5 server, same with theirs. I'm just 1 user, they are about 5 users.

Both have a central shared drive, where all network docs are held.

The problem manifests itself in intermittently, with random files (Word and Excel 2007 only). When a user double clicks on the file Word or Excel opens, but at the bottom it just says "downloading" with a little X next to it.

You then have to wait anywhere between 20s to 5 mins before it'll open. Bear in mind these are simple flat networks and the file sizes are tiny.

Once it does open, more times than not it'll say it can only open it read only becuase it is open by "another user". But we are 100% certain noone else has that file open. On the server, the Open Files part collaborates this.

They have to close the file and reopen it, and then most of the time its fine second time round.

Anyone else experinced this? Clients are either Vista or Win 7. I know on my network at least, the XP client I have doesnt have this issue.

I have tried turning off things like Remote Differential Compression, etc. Servers are both pretty new and well maintained otherwise.

Any ideas? Driving me mad. It's a lot worse on my own install, and I dont want my client's to get to where mine is.

Re: Word and Excel files "hanging"

Probably a long shot, esp. since I have no experience with SBS of any flavor, but what AV are you running on the file server(s)? McAfee has been known to lock files so that editing/deleting, even by a domain admin, can't happen unless you disable anti-tamper protection, then kill the McAfee services, then manipulate the file in question. And you still have to remember to turn the AV services back on, when you're done.

Our Server 2K3 R2 file server has this issue, and no updates/hotfixes have cleared it yet. It's not common, but it is annoying. We haven't traced it to file types as you have, but since the bulk of user files are docs & spreadsheets, that would follow.

Good luck.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Funny that...I'm running McAfee on both servers.

Although that doesnt explain why the XP's have no issue. Even my home PC which is connected via a VPN on Win 7 is not affected (so far).

Given that I can recreate this quite quickly, I'll have a stab at disabling the server AV tomorrow and see if it helps?!

Comment

I've seen this a couple of times. Have a look at the caching options for the shared folder and turn caching of offline files off. That should clear up the problem.

Comment

Hi joe

could you be a little more specific please? Ie where to look, client or server?

Comment

On the server, right click the shared folder, click the sharing tab, click the advanced sharing button, click the caching button, select the third radio button "Files or programs from the share will not be available offline", click OK on all of the open windows and close the properties window.

Comment

I'll know by the end of today if that's worked - thanks

Comment

Sounds good. Post back here to let us know.

Comment

Thought it worked...was ok for that whole day.

Now its doing it again -.-

Comment

I had a VERY similar issue to the one that you are describing, except it was using server 2008 r2 standard running on an HP ML330 G6. We connected an XP box to the network and it works fine but when you try using another Windows 7 box it has that issue.

The fix for us was to go to the NIC configuration and manually set the flow speed to 100 Mb Half Duplex. Please note that you would not want to leave it on this setting for long. If that works set it to 100 Mb Full Duplex and see if it happens again. What caused us to make the issue present itself was opening 5-6 Excel files at once over the network. It would open the first two no problem and then totally bomb on the rest. Once we made the change, all six came up fast. Also, dont forget to update your NIC drivers, it made a big difference for us.

So if it does turn out to be that you may want to consider looking at your network.

Comment

Hmm...worth a try.

Thank you - i''l report back.

Comment

Any luck with those files hanging?

Comment

Nada

Tried Excel/WOrd safe mode, Office diagnostics, repair install.

Comment

Working...
                          X