Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

understanding admin permissions on sbs 2008....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• understanding admin permissions on sbs 2008....

Sometimes I think I get it...then there is today...

I am downloading the Exchange 2007 SP2 file required by the special SBS 2008 Exchange updater and want to save it to my Z: (data) drive but I'm told I don't have permissions to save to that drive!?!?

I've obviously saves stuff there before and since I'm saving I don't have a choice to right click on a program and run as administrator...although I am the administrator!

So what is the trick on getting (what I think is explorer) to allow me to save files where I want w/o having to select my own personal folders?

Re: understanding admin permissions on sbs 2008....

Well, telling us what the permissions on the Z drive are would help -- I don't have one, only a U drive

As a guess, check share permissions (not NTFS) are changed from the default Everyone Read
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I think in an attempt to get to your point you missed understanding my comment, but maybe I was unclear.

I can write to the drive just fine for any other needs but when I try to SAVE AS from IE8 it tells me I don't have permissions. The Z: is given full administrative permission at the root level...this is a temp disc location...hence my comment that I've saves stuff there before. thx.

EDIT: My guess is I have to run IE8 as an administrator to allow it to write to that location. I guess I just don't understand why some programs are run as admin and some are not when I am logged in as an admin.
      Last edited by carboncow; 27th May 2010, 18:37.

Comment

Sorry, it wasnt clear (at least to me) that it was purely an IE issue

Is it a local or a network drive?
        Have you added the site you are downloading from to your trusted sites?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Local drive/partition and I have not added the Microsoft site to my "allowed list" but since I figured I could surf to it and download to my desktop...all would be good.

So apparently there is a setting that is new to me about having to give a site permission to save to a local drive?!?!

Comment

On server 2008, IEs security is really tightened up, so "trusted sites" is a good place to start.
            It may not work, though!
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Working...
            X