Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubleshooting WSUS

Hi all

Having deployed WSUS at a number of sites before I thought I had it pretty sussed out, but I seem to have missed something this time?

I did 2 Servers simultaneously. Both SBS2003.

1. Downloaded and installed WSUS
    2. Completed initial Sync and set Auto-Approve rule. Run rule.
    3. Created GPO and linked to "My Business>Computers>SBSComputers" OU and moved all the client PC's in there
    4. left it all weekend now, meanwhile logging in and rebbooting several machines.

Both still report 0 computers.

GPO looks like this: http://www.evocomputingservices.com/WorkstationWSUS.htm

Re: Troubleshooting WSUS

Have you checked in RSoP that the policy is being picked up?

How many clients? Might be easier to use manual groups in WSUS than membership via GPO
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I figured it out I think...

On all of my other installations, I just had the GPO server location set as http://server - but on this one I had to set the port number as well, i.e 8530.

Its the first time I have seen this!

Comment

When you install WSUS you have the option of putting it on the "default web site" (Port 80) or "create a new WSUS site" (Port 8530)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Does it default to different things based on any criteria?

Pretty sure I just accepted all the defaults on all my installs, except database drive. Seems they have all defaulted to port 80 but to 8530 on the last 2!

Comment

SBS so lots of existing sites...
            I cannot remember what the default is for that, but in general it doesnt mention ports, just "do you want to use the default site or a separate one"
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

As I recall when you install on SBS it defaults to 8530 seeing as there's so much already on the default website in SBS. I pretty much always use 8530 anyway to avoid any potential conflicts.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Is this SBS 2003R2 or RTM (plain 2003) ? If it's R2, then install it from the R2 disk and everything, including group policy, is done for you. You can even uninstall and reinstall (but then you will have 9GB+ data to resynchronise). And, YES make sure it is on port 8530.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Have a look at one of the most comprehensive sites dedicated to WSUS I've come across : http://www.wsuswiki.com/wsusonsbs
                  There is a troubleshooting section in there as well.
                  Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
                  X