Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on SYSTEM STATE BACKUP

Hi there,

I had to take over a faulty server that had a RAID0 striped system volume ([email protected]#!) and tried to get a decent backup. Anyway the SBS2008 backup failed, as did BackupExec as did trying to Ghost the whole volume, HOWEVER as SystemState backup to an external USB disk worked fine.

ANYWAY I now have a brand new server that I have built, patched and imaged. I also have the old SATA data disk added to this new array.

When I try to run the StateState Recovery according to this blog:

http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive...-sbs-2008.aspx

It doesn't find the versions of the backups on the external drive, even it it has the same drive letter and volume name as previously.

I believe I have to do this through DSRM mode for it to find where the backup versions? Could someone please clarify?

ALSO the "18+ hours of unpaid server recovery work questions" :

1. Will the system state backup recover the AD and Users from the old server intact?
    2. Will it recover the Exchange mailbox users and links intact?

If 'yes' then will will be able to save this server, as well have all the data files and mailboxes on the extra data drive - otherwise we expect many hours, if not weeks of pain manually recreating the AD!!!

Any wise tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hezi

Re: Questions on SYSTEM STATE BACKUP

System state includes AD (with Exchange information such as email addresses and servers) but not the contents of the Exchange Mailboxes -- for that you will need an Exchange backup, or the original Exchange database and log files
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Questions on SYSTEM STATE BACKUP

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      System state includes AD (with Exchange information such as email addresses and servers) but not the contents of the Exchange Mailboxes -- for that you will need an Exchange backup, or the original Exchange database and log files
      We do have the original exchange Databases and log files that are sitting on the data disc. Is it just a matter of changing a setting to point ot this location, or do they have to be re-imported and populate the new Exchange server?

Thanks.

Hezi

Comment

Working...
      X