Moving Server 2003 to SBS 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Server 2003 to SBS 2008

I am going to move a small company with 20 users from a Server 2003 domain to SBS 2008. If I change the IP address on the Server 2003 domain controller and connect it to the new SBS 2008 network, is there any issue accessing the shares on the the old server because it is a domain contoller?

I thought SBS 2008 gave you some leeway so that I did not have to DCPROMO the old server just to connect and pull of the user files.

Thanks,
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Moving Server 2003 to SBS 2008

the SBS server will expect the user names and passwords for the old domain, rather than the new domain is one problem I can think of

if you're using the same domain for the new environment, then it probably will cause problems as it will think iot's a DC, when it's not, and stuff..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I plan to recreate the accounts manually. I also plan to use a different local domain name too if that makes any difference.

When I connect the old Server 2003 to the domain it will not be joined to the new domain, it will not have the same domain name as the new domain, plus it will have a new IP.

I thought SBS gave you a grace period when it detected another domain controller on the network like when you do a swing migration. I just don't want to DCPROMO the old server on this install.

Thanks,
      Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

if you're using a different domain for the new environment, it should work fine as a stand alone server.

Just plug it in, make sure your DNS points to it correctly.

The only concern here is that unless you have anonymous access to your shares, users will need to authenticate with their user details from the sbs2003 domain
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
        X